Planting into rotted manure?

• 5 Replies

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Planting into rotted manure?
« on: February 25, 2019, 21:23 »
Hi. I’m using rotted manure over cardboard in my new raised beds in my allotment. It’s a ‘ no dig’ plan for dealing with the weeds. Has anyone experience of planting directly into manure - perhaps with ordinary compost immediately around the plant? Thinking I’d like to do this with lots of different veg, but with a different plan for seeds! Thanks

Hobovore

Re: Planting into rotted manure?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 22:18 »
Before seeing any of the do's and dont's. I planted strawberries, garlic, and tulips all straight into slightly rotted manure. The garlic is fine, about 60 % of the tulip shoots have come through and the strawberries are still green 4 months later.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43 »
Great if it is rotted, can be hit and miss if it's still quite fresh, though. Don't use it if it still smells like manure, is my rule.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 14:52 »

I have just come back from the farm with 20 large buckets of very well rotted manure, you can say it has undergone the transltion from manure to soil.  The van was complaining (slightly) about the load.  Just another 4 or 5 trips and that's it for another year.  My raised beds are just about all V.W.R.M. ( very well rotted manure)!

Cheers,  Tony. ;)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 16:59 »
If it’s very well rotted it’s just mulch & can be planted or sown into, if you feel it’s a bit too much just scrape the mulch to one side, sow on the surface of the soil & recover with the mulch, simples 😊, that is the ethos of the no dig in essence, not disturbing the soil at all or as little as possible so that the beneficial micro organisms & fungi do there stuff & let the seeds & plants get off to a good start. Worked a treat on my plot last year(first year completely no dig, it was like it had rocket fuel on it lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 18:19 »
Thanks all for the comments and ideas. I’m using 4-6 inches of manure on top of cardboard. Unfortunately as I’m filling them, I can see that the manure is a bit variable - some lovely soil like stuff and some big wedges of claggy stuff or straw. I’m trying to take out the latter and use it in my compost heap. I think I’ll have to be a bit careful with the claggy stuff though.

xx
well rotted poultry manure or well rotted horse manure?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 10:26
by rachelsco
xx
Well rotted manure ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 10:42
by richyrich7
xx
Where to put my rotted Manure

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 17:52
by WG.
xx
Well rotted manure

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 20:32
by shaun

Page created in 0.892 seconds with 37 queries.