• 26 Replies

dizzylizzie

Re: chicken proof flowers
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25 »
They are everything in my garden except gerainiums(sp?) :mad: :mad: :D

grumpydad

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 16:32 »
the established shrubs have been left alone, mahonia, skimmia, holly, flame of the forest, yucca, and monkey puzzle, most of the ground plants, primula, pansies etc have been nibbled

Rubellite

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 20:31 »
Martyn, all the ones that have been left alone are ones recommended to deter theives and the like aren't they?  :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 00:14 »
Mine didn't touch the raspberries in the summer so I've planted more, along with currants and gooseberries. So far so good. I've wired off the raised beds but they hop into a nearby bush and launch themselves at the tall purple sprouting. They only peck the edges so I'm not too worried. Really funny to watch!
My pulmonaria and alpines survived the summer but were completely razed to the ground this winter. My winter pansies that I planted in old chimney pots got razed so I've netted them. I'm hoping that when the grass starts growing again the chooks will leave well alone. They're obviously needing more greens although I grow them kale and cabbage.
All the acid loving plants like hellebores, ferns, camelias, rhodedendron, hebe etc. are doing really well (hen poo) and the perpetual wallflowers, daisies and perennial geraniums have survived and spread. Might not look TOTALLY bad in the summer.(sigh)
Have to accept you can't have a brilliant garden AND chickens!!!

grumpydad

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43 »
not sure about theives, unless you count the chickens...the mahonia and holly are prickly, the flame of the forest and skimmia smell great in the spring....

Thrift

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54 »
They definitely don't like geraniums but that's the only one I can think of.

Survival rate for anything smallish is low because of the excavation tho!  >:( >:(

Mine are definitely outside the gate this year ....... that's until I miss them round the kitchen door I suppose  :unsure:

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 12:55 »
We have nothing left except for a small shrub which we planted in memory of Poppy (chook no. 8), everything else has been eaten or dug up. Strawberries, blueberry bush, sprouts, comfrey, kiwi, herbs, cauli, pansies, wallflowers - all have leaves missing or NO leaves.  So far, the only thing the haven't eaten is the onion shoots but they have dug up the daff bulbs - oh well  ::)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 14:27 »
this picture is proof they dont like geraniums.....this patch was full of summer bedding plants till they got the munchies :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 21:06 »
is that their own fantasy island dizzylizzy? - and are those fairy lights going around the outside? :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 10:09 »
the fairy lights are going all around the patio and weaved in the trellis, looks lovely in summer when we are outside. Bought the lights in the sales after Christmas
...... so the chickens are actually in MY bit of the garden :mad: :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:11 by dizzylizzie »

ethel@co

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37 »
Roses, lavendar, rosemary, thyme penstemons ,various flowering shrubs.
But the roses seem to really thrive. Both climbing and bush.I think they like the extemely weed free soil, which is thanks to our ladies.
I try new plants out in pots before planting in the ground. If they dont get too pecked I plant them with slate pieces around the roots to let them get established .

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 17:30 »
I had a nice garden then came the distroyers  :tongue2: i found that they will eat or dig up enything thats green/red/blue lol just about everything realy   :nowink: well at least the girls are happy  :D
Chicken crazy

xx
chicken proof plants

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 21:12
by Pixieswift
xx
Chicken proof plants???

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 16:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
How to build a predator proof pen and how to wash a chicken

Started by eneville on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 20:22
by grinling
xx
Is chain link fox proof? Or chicken wire?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 08:43
by Sassy

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 34 queries.