Chickhens stopped laying again

• 4 Replies

Andy999

« on: December 03, 2008, 11:06 »
This is my second or third post on here over the past few months,all over the same topic.My 4 older birds have stopped laying again,whilst my birds I purchased several months ago have still not laid an egg,which in some ways I dont expect from them until the spring.
With regards to my older birds, they stopped during their moult, then 2 started laying again for a about 2 weeks,but now have stopped completly.Ive not had an egg from 4 birds in well over a month.Is it down to the cold weather? the birds are fit and health and looked after very well.At the end of the day they are not paying their way and Im on the verge of dispatching them.
Any advice again would be great.Cheers.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21 »
Daylight length plays a huge part in egg production. This time of year there's just not enough light, you could consider putting a light in with them gradually increase the day length, by 15 mins a day over a few weeks until you get to 12 hours, best done in the morning then they will go to bed normally as dusk arrives.
What do you feed them on ?   I rember reading am article once by Katie Thear she suggested feeding nothing but layers for a few weeks until egg production had commenced again.
Lastly consider the age of your older hens, older birds naturally lay fewer eggs each year until they become non-viable.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Andy999

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:13 »
Hi Rich,Feeding birds on layers pellets with a little mixed corn.Birds are just over a year old so thought they would continue laying through winter.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 13:37 »
Mmm feeds right then, I got mine in  Oct 2007 and they laid constantly over the 1st winter but this year there's hardly any but they are moulting. Are yours showing any signs of moult ?

would it be worth worming them on the off chance.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 13:54 »
sounds normal to me -my hens that have moulted this season have really slowed and most have stopped laying. I expect they will start again when the days get longer. :D
If you have hybrids they will def have slowed laying.
If they are only just over a year and just past their first moult you could sell them to someone who wont mind waiting for eggies in spring ( for a pound or two- :D) then the money could go towards chicken feed!  :D  :D

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Stopped laying

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 00:40
by henamoured
xx
Hen stopped laying

Started by dugless on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 21:00
by joyfull
xx
stopped laying?!?!

Started by kellym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 07:58
by kellym

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.