Win some Lose some (SWEET PEPPERS)

• 6 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« on: August 27, 2007, 18:35 »
I suppose I should be happy enough having had good crops of spuds, beans, American salad, rocket, water cress and tomatoes.

But this morning I was really upset with my sweet peppers. I had taken a few and they had been OK - two pale green and two dark green, although they had some dark stains and the leaves had lots of holes.
In my ignorance I had asked for advice and I was told that you could leave them on until they change colour - to red or yellow.

Well a few days ago the leaves all shrivelled up going dark brown. I kept watering them as I had been told to ............. OH I SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU they are in 3 big pots in a hot green house.

I looked more carefully today and found all remaing fruits are rotted soft and black sgoodges.

there are still flowers that look OK so I suppose I might as well leave them and see.
But I wish I knew what I had done wrong so that I can learn my lessons.

Could it have been BLIGHT, .. I puffed Bourdeau Mixture powder the same as I protected my toms?
Could I have over-watered them?
Any advice would be received with thanks
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 19:59 »
Just bumping this - I've got two rows on my plot and don't want to lose any to blight.  I was told however that blight doesn't affect peppers...
I'd like a second opinion though.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 20:17 »
Have a look at this link
might be this do you think, sorry for the late reply  :(

Nasturtium, peppers are also members of the nightshade family along with Tomatoes, Potatoes, Aubergine, so I'll stick my neck out and say they can get it.

But I'm not 100% sure to be honest and have never seen it. But then mty peppers live in the greenhouse and everything in there seems to miss the blight.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 20:57 »
I've just found a similar posting here http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=90384#90384
may help ?

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 21:20 »
Thanks, and do curcurbits include courgettes?  I should know this, but it's easier to ask someone else!

Good thing I sprayed the peppers the other day then.  I don't get it, the guy that told me this seems to know everything there is to know and he's got the perfectest plot on the site...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 21:39 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
Thanks, and do curcurbits include courgettes?  I should know this, but it's easier to ask someone else!

Yes as far as I know.

Quote from: "nasturtium"
Good thing I sprayed the peppers the other day then.  I don't get it, the guy that told me this seems to know everything there is to know and he's got the perfectest plot on the site...

Perhaps He's right I honestly don't know? but as they are members of the same family I think it's probable that they might, and no one knows every thing.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 11:03 »
Yesterday I put black polythene with holes under my peppers, covered them with a polytunnel.  Fed, watered, slug pelleted and sprayed them.  Nothing will stop them now.

xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 08:00
by Longshanks
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 21:00
by Mr Dog
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 00:34
by shokkyy
xx
Sweet Peppers - outside already??

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 10:17
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 35 queries.