Exotic fruit

• 3 Replies

Parma

Exotic fruit
« on: May 10, 2006, 22:07 »
Hi I'm new to this forum.

I've just started to get into growing veg and fruit, this evening I set up some hanging cd's to scare off birds on the allotment then sat in the sun and had a barbie!
I'm interested in growing exotic fruit to stop me from feeling so guilty about all the energy wasted in bringing my fav fruits from so far away. Thought I would start with kiwis! Does anyone grow kiwis and if so what type and are they easy to grow.  :) cheers

Jerry

Exotic fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 00:31 »
Not grown kiwis here but understand that they are straightforward to grow, you need more than one and they like a sheltered spot with a bit of support to climb on.
I do grow Cape Gooseberry though (Physalis edulis or Physalis pruinosa) which are as easy as tomatoes, but need starting off early (say Feb) or they don't ripen before the frosts come. You can overwinter them to get a head start if you have a heated glasshouse. At about 80p for 100g in the supermarket they are well worth growing.

lilymarlene

Exotic fruit
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 17:22 »
I had one at our old house (middle of Kent). It was on a south west facing wall, in a sheltered courtyard. It produced some very small fruit once!
I think you need to grow it indoors to get a reliable crop.

I did only have the one bush...so perhaps I should have had two.....but even without a pollinator it did have fruit on once, so I don't think that was it. It just needs a longer season than we can guarantee here.

Parma

Exotic fruit
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 17:51 »
cheers for replying. I'm definately going to give it a go. Theres a lovely sheltered part of our garden so i reckon i'll try it there. Any suggestions of varieties to try?
My other fav fruit are blueberries - my husband bought be a bush as a pressie and its growing pretty well, i'm very chuffed!
Would like to know anyone elses successes at growing exotic fruits.

ps. one of my bosses at work has a smallholding and killed his first chicken the other day...hes by himself so he gave it to me to cook for sunday dinner. YUM  - free range + free chicken. delicious.....said i would give him a taste report monday morning.

xx
Exotic Manure ?

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 18:50
by Digger Tom
question
exotic tomatoes

Started by chumpy7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2019, 21:20
by Aidy
xx
exotic Plants

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2006, 08:20
by Heather_S
xx
Exotic or unusual vegetables

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 15:09
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 35 queries.