How's everything growing in your plot?

• 12 Replies

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« on: May 09, 2006, 22:06 »
I have just uploaded a load of pictures of my crops in the album section.
I would be really interested to see other folks plots to see how the different areas are progressing. I am growing things for the first time this year so everything is new and I am learning every day about plants.

I am such a novice that often I am not sure what something is going to look like when it first appears - I am often found peering at the ground wondering if the thing I see is a crop beginning to grow or simply a weed!

Last week someone told me that the sprouting stuff appearing where I had planted my carrots were not infact carrots but pototoes from the last persons crop!

Is anyone else in the same boat?

What about posting your allotment photos every now and again so that novices like me can see how everyone else is doing?

Anyway take a look at my plot - photos taken today 9th May. How do they compare to other areas? I am in buckinghamshire and it has been warm and wet for the last few days which has brought everything out really quickly.
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 22:33 »
Really good stuff. Such a tidy plot, I need a strimmer on mine to stop the grasses around the edge from seeding.

My carrots seem to have been eaten :( , I know what the seedlings look like and they were there about 4 days ago but now I can only see one or two.

Worried about my peas too.

My parsnips are good though, I need to post a photo and my broad beans are doing ok as well as the onions and spuds.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:51 »
Everything is growing gr8 for me so far, will have to post sum pics soon but i need to tidy up the greenhouse etc first as it looks like a bomb site lol
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Re: How's everything growing in your plot?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03 »
Quote from: "lentil987"

I am such a novice that often I am not sure what something is going to look like when it first appears - I am often found peering at the ground wondering if the thing I see is a crop beginning to grow or simply a weed!

I'm exactly the same :D  I find myself peering at the ground and wondering if the little bit of green I can see peeking through the earth really is a seedling or just a new weed :tongue2:  More often than not I end up waiting to see if all the green bits are in a straight line - then I know it's my plants appearing (either that, or I have very neat weeds!)

I've put a few pictures on Photobucket, via the link in my signature.  I'll get some uploaded onto here too soon.  Everything seems to be going ok, but from what I've read since planting everything back in Early April I have made a few mistakes - too many tomato plants in a growbag, everything is too close together (and don't I know it, I have to tiptoe between the rows :tongue2:) and I did it all too early whilst it was still cold here oop north.  Some of the seedlings - the broccoli and some of the second early carrots - never appeared so I've had to resow those :(  I learnt about cloches etc a little late too, but in enough time to get my lettuces covered and established!

It's a learning curve 8)

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:06 »
I'm in Spain so bit different 4 me! Got 20 toms that have been planted out for about a month now planted 20 more last weekend along with 10 aubergines! I think I'm feeding the 5000!!!! Butternut squash, pumpkin, tomatillos, corgettes and peppers been out for a while, Runnerbeans flowering now! 60 kelsae onions planted on monday along with 3 raspberry plants! lettuce doing well! (really impressed with Bijou!) leeks to go out this weekend (pencil thick now) planting out melons this weekend. Cabbages going well impressed with 'derby day' the problem is the birds are too!!!!!! It's all an experiment lets hope it pays off!! I will try and post some pics this weekend! Happy gardening everyone!
Happy Gardening

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Carrots don't look like brassicas, do they?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28 »
Planted seeds directly into bed for carrots, parsnips, swede and beetroot. Something coming up in between where I thought I'd planted the carrots and parsnips which look like little brassicas, green with yellow mottling. I know carrot tops should look feathery, so can't be them. Wasn't too accurate when planting (first year, lesson learnt). Any idea what they could be? Might even be weeds, but they're in a straight line!
Garlic, Broad Beans, Peas, Runner Beans and Courgettes coming on stupendously. Late start because I hadn't built my greenhouse until mid April (greenhouse; loose term for lots of 2"x2" and sheet perspex) and Dundee is a bit colder than 'down south'. Rabbits nibbled strawberry plants donated by a friend, which was the first thing I planted, so everything under netting now (with eyes also on a pair of collared doves nesting close by).
Weather stupendous, so have to be up after work at least every other day to make sure nothing dries out.
Mike  :wink:

noshed

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:51 »
Very frustrating being at work when the weather is so good. Most of my stuff is a bit small to put out, except the cauliflowers and brussels, so they might go in tonight. There's no room left on my balcony so something has to go.
I think I'll plant some beans on my wonder-arch and I'll try courgettes underneath with a bit of corrugated plastic for a cloche.
I'm going to rationalise (ie dig up) my inherited rasberries because they take up too much room - I'll try to leave a short row of canes, although it might end up to be a block of them.
My onions, garlic and spuds all seem to be doing well, as are my lettuce in the cold frame. I need to plant more peas and carrots when I make a bit of room somewhere.
I was thinking of planting out my sweetcorn at the weekend when they've hardened off - they're about 3" high. I could always drape a bit of fleece around for a few days.
All that rain on Saturday and Monday has done wonders for my water-butt. Thinking of getting another one - maybe one of those blue barrels.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:32 »
my peas are now up hundreds of them, i may have gone a little OTT but at least it wont matter if the birds have a few. courgettes, potatoes,onions and strawberries are doing just fine outside. this week i have  built a coldframe out of some windows i got from the tip last week and in there i have about 30 tobacco plants, 20 cherry toms and 6 chillie. i'm really pleased with my cold frame and everything in it. i was really shocked to see the amount of dead slugs yesterday after my first sprinkle with slug pellets there were hundreds of them.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 13:34 »
Brilliant set of pictures - Lentil

Glad to see the albums are being useful.

I'm way behind on the plot due to the weather and trying to build a  greenhouse and now it's beautiful and I've got to work.  :(

I suppose work is better than being bust - but why couldn't it come just when it's raining?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

lentil987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 20:24 »
I know how you feel John, I work shifts but always have a Monday off, when the weather doesnt allow me to go on the plot on my day off I feel really hard done by!

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 09:40 »
I'm working from home at the moment (trying to get this paper written up... grrr!) - that's probably worse than being at work, because I can see my plot from the window but I know I have to stay in and work :(

(In fact - I should probably be working now!  :roll: )

I noticed this morning that my coriander is going great guns :D  And, after I re-sowed a row, some more carrot seedlings are appearing!

lentil987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 17:21 »
sweatpea I just love your cat. I also am very envious that you have your plot in your garden so you can just go out and do a bit. I havent anything planted in my garden everything is down the allotment.
your tomatoes are looking very good.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:49 »
Just returned from Birmingham - tramping around the bull ring with a bunch of 'nice business aquaintances' looking for some obscure books and computer bits in the sunshine.. grrrr.

And a bunch of emails asking for changes on web sites in the intray.

Catch you all later, I'm off to the plot :)

xx
Suitability of plot for growing

Started by ukdutypaid on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 21:39
by Bombers
xx
GROWING SWEEDES ON MY PLOT !

Started by ladybird on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 12:29
by agapanthus
xx
Growing strawberries in veg plot

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2021, 18:18
by rowlandwells
xx
Growing flowers on the plot

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 38 queries.