brassicas Mrs!

• 8 Replies

Gwiz

brassicas Mrs!
« on: May 07, 2006, 15:36 »
well, there in at long last. cabbage, brussels, cauliflower and the kale. they were getting a bit leggy but they should be ok i hope. ive even taken the risk of putting out the courgettes.
my backs killing me. :cry:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 00:54 »
Radox - works for me!
It's been raining here today so I've been on the PC since the afternoon (we Christened my niece and nephew this morning) in the hopes I can get on the plot tomorrow.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:31 »
I still really ache from cleaning the greenhouse on Saturday :(

It was raining here all day yesterday too - it should brighten up a bit by this afternoon though so I can get out and check on my carrots :D

What makes the seedlings go leggy? Is it just a 'luck of the draw' thing?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:46 »
Quote from: "SweetPea"

What makes the seedlings go leggy? Is it just a 'luck of the draw' thing?

Usually it's low light levels. We start a lot of seedlings in a north facing bedroom that has 2 windows. Because it is north facing and they are on a window cill, they often end up stretching for the light and becoming leggy therefore.
It's the plant's way of reacting to being shaded - get above the competition

noshed

brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 16:14 »
When people say brassicas have to be in firm ground - how firm is firm? Stamped? Seems  a shame when I've been tiptoeing round my beds since January!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 10:35 »
I planted out pot-sown red & white cabbages, sprouts, purple sprouting brocolli, roman brocolli and cauliflowers about ten days ago. Seem to have lost a couple of cauliflowers, with the stems seemingly dying right at ground level. It has been very windy over the last few days, but everything else is doing really well and all the foliage on the red cabbages went from green to deep purple over a couple of days. Are Caulis prone to transplanting problems, or particularly susceptible to wind damage? The seedlings were about 3in tall when I planted them out.

Rhuby

losing the will
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 17:43 »
I have found a similar problem with my caulis and courgettes, breaking off at the base. I just think its been too windy and too much prolonged rain! Back to the classroom for me!
The hitlist so far has been radishes eaten by flea beatles, two caulis, two courgettes keeled over and three bean shoots eaten by slugs. And one sunflower completely awol!!
Still praying for some sun?
Rhuby
Organic

Rural Living

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 19:12 »
Hi all

With my brassicas I do actiually push down around the base of the plant with my boot, particularly brussels, and regularly check they are still firm in the ground throughout the growing season. I understand it gives a more compact crop. When is it going to stop raining, I have leeks, betroot, and brassicas to go in. Anyone short of rain we have got plenty to spare in Wales.

comic_muse

brassicas Mrs!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 19:50 »
On my last ground, I laid it all out to beds.  Brassicas which needed to heart up' really didn't appreciate the looseness of the ground & neither did those which got tall or top heavy.  Did'nt leave many in between, apart from 'spring green' type cabbage !!

I live on the edge of the Vale of Evesham & they seem to best in something akin to the local Supermarket Car Park !  Round here they still talk about planting into wet ground with a 'crowbar'.  This time round after a 7 year lay off, my ground (50 yds x 10 yds, is set up 50 / 50, half beds & half 'open ground' although the open ground has Mypex down on part of it for Soft Fruit.
I'm not sure it's the 'stamping' them in when planting, as much as the firmness of the ground the roots are running in to & the stability it gives the growing plant.  Sprouts are a classic for 'blowing' & going loose if the roots aren't well anchored.....now Lettuce on the other hand !......
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

xx
Do I need brassicas?

Started by Katejs on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 12:31
by BabbyAnn
xx
brassicas

Started by Rhuby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2006, 17:22
by John
xx
Get those brassicas in!

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:12
by nilsatis1964
xx
Brassicas

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 23:31
by al78

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 37 queries.