Growing strawberries in veg plot

• 4 Replies

digby

• Experienced Member
Growing strawberries in veg plot
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:36 »
When I first started my plot I put a nice raised bed in the corner for my strawberries, over time it became over run and impossible to keep on top of the weeds and the mint moved in,.

I noticed on a gardening program someone, it may have been Monty, had a row of strawberries in the veg plot.  Has anyone done this, presumably it gets dug up and moved annually with normal rotation? I’ve tried pots but you just don’t get the same level of harvest, I think last year we barely had a handful. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing strawberries in veg plot
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:58 »
Hi, it doesn't matter whether you grow them in a bed or a row, they need to be moved about every 4 years, starting with runners taken from the old plants, the year before (assuming the plants are still healthy). It means you put new plants in a new bed every 4th year.
Remember not to plant them after potatoes though, as they're likely to get verticillium wilt , if you do :(

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:09 »
I think people leave them in for 3 or four years and just rotate crops around them. That’s certainly what I do.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:21 »
I've just this week, planted about twenty-four Alpines in a deep, double gutter, fixed in parallel, raised off the ground. Alpines so tiny, the old knees give out after a half-hour of scrabbling about on the ground.

It should be a doddle to hoik them out in a year or so, and re-plant the runners, but it's early days yet...

I don't see why it shouldn't work with maincrop strawbs!

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 18:18 »
our strawberry bed is in a raised bed planted in woven membrane sheeting that keeps the crop almost weed free the strawberries crops well able to net the crop but we do replant the crop around every three years

going to try raised bench grown crop in troughs this season trial and error comes to mind  :D

xx
growing strawberries

Started by woody123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 10:52
by lightyears
xx
strawberries growing again

Started by shirazcat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2006, 14:13
by jennyb
xx
growing strawberries

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 22:36
by SarahB
xx
growing strawberries

Started by charlie615 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:24
by Growbag

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.