New to all this, any easy recipies to start me off?

• 8 Replies

Shieldsy

New to all this, any easy recipies to start me off?
« on: March 02, 2009, 20:28 »
I've just bough some Brewers Yeast in the anticipation of making some home brew but haven't a clue where to start or what to do so are there any easy to follow, fool proof recipies that you could send me to get me going? Idiots guide needed

My other half thinks I'm mad and I'll never be able to amke anything that is palletable but I'm going to prove her wrong........hopefully   :D

Stripey_cat

Re: New to all this, any easy recipies to start me off?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 21:56 »
Do you want beer, wine, mead or cider?  Also, do you want recommendations for kits, or recipes from scratch?  Finally, what are your and your partner's tastes in drinks?  Most kits are fairly foolproof (and save you needing to prepare ingredients), but there are some easy recipes that don't require too much faff.

My personal favourite easy recipes are mead (which is easy, but takes ages to mature to be really nice - young it is very rough), ginger wine (not like Stones, more like flat, high percentage ABV American-style ginger ale), cider from John Bull kits (dead easy and quite drinkable, but needs a 5 gallon container), and strawberry wine (needs a bit more effort to prepare, and probably the wrong time of year!).

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:54 »
Try this, dead easy recipies, tasted alright.

Did what it said on the tin!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26834.0
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

Shieldsy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 18:26 »
Thanks Beestie  :)

Stripey Cat - I'm willing to give anything a go. I mainly drink beer/lager and other half pretends she's a wine buff but on the whole I'll try anything once and will learn from successes and failures whilst having some fun along the way.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 23:05 »
Mead is fairly easy, but as I said is slow to ferment and better for at least one year in storage (some batches are best after three or four years).  At all stages, make sure all your equipment is clean and sterilised, and keep honey-water covered or you'll get mould or flies in it.

You need about 3-4lbs of decent-tasting honey - special flower sorts taste nice, but ordinary stuff you'd be willing to spread on toast is fine.  Start off the yeast in a small bottle with a bit of boiled water and a spoonful of sugar (plug the top of the bottle to stop nasties getting in). 

Once it's frothing nicely, mix 2 lbs of your honey with a cup of very strong tea (I tend to put an Assam bag in and let it stew until it cools), the juice of a lemon, and enough water to make it up to 3 litres.  Round here, I boil the water up first with the honey to get rid of chlorine and some of the limescale (and skim off any scum from the honey - more important with honey straight from the hives than with commercial stuff).  Once the mixture is cool and well-dissolved, tip it into a demijohn and add the yeast.  Airlock, and stick somewhere fairly warm (mid to high teens celcius is ideal; low twenties is faster but maybe less flavoursome). 

After about a week, it'll stop bubbling crazily, and you can mix up another pound of honey with a litre and a bit of water and top up the jar to the top of the shoulder.  As it ferments, if you want a stronger wine, draw a little bit out and dissolve some more honey in it in several small goes.  Eventually, it'll stop blupping at you.  Don't believe it!  Put the jar somewhere a bit warmer (or wait until the weather warms up), and it'll probably start again.  Once it has finished fermenting for real, you can (if you want to) add some of the stuff that stops re-fermentation, then add a bit more honey to sweeten it slightly.  Alternatively, if you like dry wines, leave it fermented out.  You can either store it in the demijohn (with a solid bung), or you can bottle it.  It really is best left somewhere you won't be tempted for a good long while.

Shieldsy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 19:16 »
Thanks Stripey Cat........here's to some happy brewing

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 20:20 »
Hi, if your thinking of making beer i recomend a kit it's so easy and some of the kits are so good these days. I use ( Art of Brewing . Com ) for middle range kits and i recomend Muntons for good value.

Shieldsy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 19:19 »
Thanks Jay and apologies for the slow response

jjbull

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 21:39 »
i would second muntons kits was very surprised at how good they turn out

xx
Easy to read hydrometer

Started by David. on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 14:33
by David.
xx
How easy is it to make wine?

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:29
by Growster...
xx
looking for easy grape wine recipie

Started by bluejeans53 on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 16:39
by bluejeans53
xx
new start

Started by dmg on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 19:05
by syks grower

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.