general gardening

• 34 Replies

noshed

general gardening
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 20:26 »
A chain of JK restaurants - crikey. Don't put it in on your compost heap - it will grow again from tiny bits of root. I put mine in a bucket of water to fester - seems to kill it. Then I put it in the skip.
Burning it would be OK.
Our council bloke was keen to get a contractor in to ours, so that might be an option.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 23:03 »
alas and alack, the allotment I have is privately owned and the council will have nothing to do with anything on it only to tell you what you can't do... :?

I shouldn't really call them though because the majority of them have been really helpful....

The glycerine tip (mixing it with the weedkiller) seems to make sense and by the sounds of it a tried and trusted treatment..Is that ordinary glycerine then?? :?
........Its just that I have a bottle in my medicine cupboard
 (my kids always cringe at the mere mention of my medicine cupboard as I always give them home remedies wherever possible...Its amazing how fast they recover before I've even given them anything!!)  :wink:
...and if I can use that I will have another go at the blighters (thats the knot weed and mares tail not the kids) tomorrow.... :)
....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 23:14 »
to balance the bad with the good and to exercise my Irish and welsh farming heretige, can anyone recommend something I can plant into some big plastic bell pots that I can harvest over the winter or earlyish next year  :?  .... I feel a great need to do this to preserve my sanity and my motivation and at least see something good come out of the work done so far instead of all the weeds :evil:
It will encourage the kids as well who all seem to get easily daunted and neede to be inspired beyond my mere words and pictures from book :) s...
Thanking you all in advance,
Trudi :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
general gardening
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 08:51 »
Hi Wombling, what about some potatoes in those pots?  I don't think you've got a greenhouse yet to keep them in have you?  So you'd maybe need to cover them with fleece or something when the frosts come.  or maybe you can get hold of some spring cabbage plants?  

Some of the others on here say japanese bunching onions, some salad leaves are hardy enough, and some of the hardier herbs would be okay.  I've got a huge pot I grew my sweet peas in this year.  Hubby buried a green tomato that the dog was chasing in it, and now I've got 7 little tomatoes growing.  I'm going to see how they do, but I'm lucky and have a greenhouse, so they will go into individual pots and go in there soon.

Good luck anyway, oh go have a look at John's month by month guide to what you can plant in October, you may find some ideas on there!!!

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 08:51 »
Cheers Grannieannie....I will go and have a look...at least girls and me will be producing stuff instead of seemingly destroying all the time... :)

xx
General Gardening

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2019, 18:17
by rowlandwells
xx
Thirdly at the risk of dominating the general gardening forum LOL

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 21:50
by mumofstig
xx
General question about maintaining temperature

Started by zestymordant on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 21:16
by Sprinter60
xx
General soil type/flower advice

Started by cleverkitty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 20:48
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.