Small holes in potatoes

• 0 Replies

mmelindam

Small holes in potatoes
« on: March 06, 2011, 18:48 »
Hi there,

An internet search took me to a post on this forum which describes an issue I'm having with holes being eaten in my garden potatoes. I was going to post this on that thread, but this website said I should start a new topic since no one had commented on that thread in over 120 days...

The post said
I have just finsihed digging up the last of our spuds, and lots of them (but not all) have little hol;es in them, and I noticed A tiny creature. they look like millepedes, but are so thin, but a good 3 cm long.
They have loads of legs ,and pictures 9google) I have seen of wireworms look like they only have legs at the front.
any ideas??

It seems like the consensus was that it was wireworms. However, from what I've read wireworms leave the potato black where the holes are. Whatever is eating the holes in my potatoes is not doing that. They are just regular holes that are easy to cut out but do not store well. I'm also getting the same type of holes in my eggplant and now strawberries - clean round holes the size of a pin head to the size of an eraser head. I  too thought it was the centipedes because I often found them in the holes, but I'm starting to doubt it. It's becoming more of a problem as the years go on. The critters I've found in the holes are definitely not wireworms as they are flat and have many many legs.

My gardening spot is a community garden plot that I cleared about 5 years ago. It was covered with weeds. One of the replies to the original post said if the plot had been newly cleared (as mine was 5 years ago) the wireworms would eat the potatoes instead of starve. In my case though the potato damage does not look exactly like wireworm damage...

Could it be earwigs doing this? Any insight would be appreciated.

xx
Small round holes in my stored potatoes- who's the culprit?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 22:52
by missmoneypenny
xx
small holes

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:16
by sunshineband
xx
Small holes in B Beans

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 23:30
by hubballi
xx
Why Have My Lettuces Got Small Holes All Over THem?

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 20:13
by Ice

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 36 queries.