small potatoes

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

small potatoes
« on: March 16, 2019, 18:48 »
I decided i mite not have enough seed potatoes so i went to our local nursery to see if they had any seed potatoes left

although they had sold most varieties and because its help yourself to the seed potatoes  all the big seed had gone but there was plenty of small seed potatoes probably that's why they dropped the price so i bough  15k of three early varieties

so would you recommend planting 2 potatoes per station or planting them close there's nothing wrong with the seed except there  on the small side any advise please

Goosegirl

Re: small potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48 »
My late grandad-in-law was a very knowledgeable farm labourer and always told us to get seed pots the size of a hen's egg so yours should be ok to plant as normal.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Didiaskew

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 13:45 »
As Goosegirl said I've been told any bigger than a hens egg to cut them in half so I think you'll be fine to plant as usual.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 15:44 »
I decided i mite not have enough seed potatoes so i went to our local nursery to see if they had any seed potatoes left

although they had sold most varieties and because its help yourself to the seed potatoes  all the big seed had gone but there was plenty of small seed potatoes probably that's why they dropped the price so i bough  15k of three early varieties

so would you recommend planting 2 potatoes per station or planting them close there's nothing wrong with the seed except there  on the small side any advise please

Things are going to be different wherever you go however down here in France the favoured size of seed potato is about  50mm or there about. You will normally pay more for this size of seed the larger and smaller are a bit cheaper to but. So size them up and if they are about that size you are bang on. I would not put two per station. Provided the ground is in good nick I don't see that the size of the seed is going to make a huge difference providing they are not marbles  :nowink:

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 18:25 »
I'm going to take your advise Jambob my friend asked me to plant some  potatoes in his raised bed and cover it with fleece I think he got the idea from Monty on Friday's G/W on the TV  :D :D

jambop

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20 »
I'm going to take your advise Jambob my friend asked me to plant some  potatoes in his raised bed and cover it with fleece I think he got the idea from Monty on Friday's G/W on the TV  :D :D
here is a photo of an average seed potato you would pay most for down here down here.
DSCN3828.JPG
DSCN3828.JPG
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:21 by jambop »

xx
Why are my potatoes so small?

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 08:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Small holes in potatoes

Started by mmelindam on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 18:48
by mmelindam
xx
small seed potatoes

Started by sonnycbr on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 16:15
by rowan57
xx
Re-planting small potatoes? Advice please

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2021, 13:24
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 44 queries.