Extra long fork and spade......

• 5 Replies

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
Extra long fork and spade......
« on: June 07, 2010, 15:26 »
Hi all, I'm a tad over 6' 1" and am looking into buying some extra long equipment!!

Have seen the Draper tools priced very competitively here:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Extra-Long-Carbon-Steel-Garden-Fork-88793-Draper-GCDF-EL-I

Now I realise that this isn't going to be a top of the line tool, but I haven't got money to burn!!

Just wondered if anybody had some info on these or can recommend a different make?

Thanks....

Rossco

Gwiz

Re: Extra long fork and spade......
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 17:39 »
I can't say for definite about that particular fork, but I have the normal sized fork, spade, draw hoe and rake. I bought them second hand off a guy who was giving his allotment up. The whole lot for £20. I haven't broken them yet ;)
I guess it's all about how you use or abuse them that will say how long they will last. :)

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 17:48 »
The Fiskars Power Digging Spade, sometimes sold labelled as a Wilkinson Sword product, is excellent. I am 6ft 4in tall and I find it so much better for my back than other conventional spades.
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 19:37 »
We use the longer handled Fiskars digging forks at work....
Do visit a store to make sure you do get the longer handled version as when I purchased our most recent one at B&Q Boston there did seem to be at least two sizes of fork/handle.
   I fished out an older stock one from the back...a bit dustier and with Wilkinson Sword badging (601572W), rather than others that I think were Fiskars branded, as I noticed that the plastic over sleeve of the handle was a longer length and more where I would hold the fork lower down.
 The forks are of the Lincolnshire Potato digging fork style with flat fronted/diamond back tines....and good tines they are too.. :)

"Dori" 

funstuie

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 21:52 »
I got a round point (Irish/Dorset) spade from homebase for £9.99 last week. The handle is about 5ft and the shovel is good quality steel (it's made by bulldog).

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 21:55 »
If you do buy - let us know what you think of it.

I've almost given up looking for something sensibly priced that doesn't need me to kneel down to use.  ::) Longer handles put far more stress on the tool - I'm using border tools now and I'm tall than you, but at least I don't overload and snap them.

xx
Replacement Shaft For Fork (EXTRA LONG)

Started by 3759allen on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 21:53
by 3759allen
xx
Spade vs Fork

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 14:28
by chimaera
xx
new spade,new fork

Started by buba on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:56
by richyrich7
xx
spade and fork recommendation?

Started by dan808 on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 21:58
by DD.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 30 queries.