muntjac cooks a gammon hock

• 20 Replies

muntjac

« on: January 13, 2007, 22:06 »
ok well its cheap meat and its tasty if ya know what ya doing to cook it .and believ it or not it used to be a royal meal ,, henry the 8th loved it more than his 4th wife apparantly ,," i love my pig hocks more than i love thee woman " off with her head . ok im pulling ya hock ,,,,  :lol:  ok take a gammon hock , morrisons have em for £ 1. 19p... pressure cook on a turned over trivet so its not in the water . fill with boiled  hot water to the level of trivet only . pressure up and do for 15 mins  .open top to let it blow when ya get it off and stand outside . take it out ya cooker then while its still hot  put on a roasting rack .cross cut the skin like ya would a big gammon jobbie . oven on 150c and brush ya hock with maple syrup n roast for 45 mins - 1hour  brush with maple syrup half way through . watch it dont burn towards the end of the cooking time ,, eat a bit to taste it ,,, now let it go cold and if ya have any left after you been nipping through to the kitchen for no reason like me ... " im just testing to see if it tastes the same as it cools down " you can have it for whatever meal you want  :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 22:08 »
Sounds delicious muntjac  :D

shaun

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 22:09 »
whats a gammon hock ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 22:12 »
the pigs ankle matey . just ask for a hock
 :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 22:13 »
bottom of the back leg. Not always know for tenderness. (pressure cooker sorts that out)  

http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cuts_interactive_chart.htm

Annie

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 23:38 »
We get bone in hock of pork which you have to skin and remove the meat from the bone,we make a hearty pork and lentil soup and at £1 /1kg hock how can you go wrong.I miss my pressure cooker though.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18 »
roast it first and see the taste difference annie  :wink: with the skin on :wink:  shred it and add to stew  :lol:

Annie

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 14:50 »
It`s not gammon Muntjac so boiling etc seems to work best as some of the hocks are small.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 19:21 »
u mean knuckles ? i still roast them as well .the meat is just fab when its added to the stew 30 mins afore the rest is ready ....

supersprout

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:45 »
aha muntjac, it was you got the last ham hock when I went to Morrison's yesterday :shock: :wink:

We loves em too. Usually get two, pressure cook with pot herbs, lift out the meat and let cool. Then de-fat and strain, pick meat off bone and fat, now you have loads of sweet, tender meat and gallons of stock. We usually make bean 'n ham hock soup or pea soup. But there's usually ham hock meat left over to dice and freeze for other lovely things :D

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 13:04 »
lmao i got 2 yesterday at my morrisons along with some lamb knuckles lolo hocks £1.10 knuckles £2.50 for 3

Annie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 19:24 »
I miss my pressure cooker!We got an induction hob,had to freecycle existing cooker and still looking for a reasonably priced one that is suitable.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:23 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I miss my pressure cooker!We got an induction hob,had to freecycle existing cooker and still looking for a reasonably priced one that is suitable.

Well, not cheap Annie, but the Kuhn Rikon ones will last a lifetime and that's the one I've picked :roll: Am I right in thinking it would work on an induction hob, being made of stainless steel? I've had the 6l model for years, got the 12l hotel model last September, and it doubles as jam pan, casserole, soaking vessel, pud steamer, additional large bowl for e.g. passata, rice cooker - oh, just wish I'd got it years ago. No dials or complicated widgets or weights or anything - very clean design, but that's what you'd expect from the Swiss eh :D

Annie

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 10:45 »
Thanks,will check it out,but it was a stainless steel on I had to say goodbye to.Induction hobs work byelectromagnetism so pans have to have a ferromagnetic base.

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 11:29 »
whats al this biometalimagtism stuff ya lost me now  i got a glow red ceramic fing i use all sorts pans on it

xx
help please all you meat cooks

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 20:11
by Madame Cholet
xx
pork hock - best way to cook

Started by Deano27 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2008, 14:22
by Fingers crossed
xx
Gammon ham

Started by ThatsNice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2013, 13:25
by arugula
xx
I don't know what to do - gammon?

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2018, 14:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.