Blackfly....the horror

• 29 Replies

rictic

• Experienced Member
Blackfly....the horror
« on: July 17, 2010, 22:17 »
Hi all
Have had my broad beans totally wiped out by blackfly this year
The blighters have designs on my runners too. Any advice how to stop this happening next year
Keep the faith
Muff

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Blackfly....the horror
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 22:25 »
Pinch out the tops of the BB and keep a soapy spray handy every time you visit
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 22:25 »
I find that a spray of Provado Ultimate is enough to keep them at bay for several weeks.  I try not to spray if I think the veg might be ready to eat in less than two weeks.   Obviously I am not an organic grower, but I severely limit what and when I spray.
Cheese makes everything better.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 23:02 »
You may be interested to know that garlic, tomato, rhubarb, laurel, chrysanthemum (PYRETHRUM) etc .sprays are cheap, effective, and possibly "organic". They are now probably illegal in Europe, even though recipes for some of these are readily available on other sites/advocated in contemporary literature/used at some 'famous' gardens etc.
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

I'll admit to using garlic or rhubarb mixed with soap on occasion, and I'll interplant with chrysanthemum (but not process it, however for interest see
http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab360-02e.htm
Never tried tomato, and don't fancy laurel.

Having said that barriers / hand squishing / nipping BB tops etc work for me most of the time, and I'm glad to say that this year I've sprayed only once (blackfly on globe artichoke/early June).

For all of the harlyquin ladybird's faults it is a voracious consumer of blackfly and I do nothing to discourage it, and for the last couple of years has done a good job of controlling summer (but not spring) aphid attacks.

Finally rhubarb and garlic (along with commercial insecticides) will also kill the good guys, including bees etc, and as this county needs bees please look after the little ladies by spraying after they've gone to bed. 

Have probably said enough to get put on the naughty step.

SS

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 23:04 »
Then Im on the naughty step too, as I had no idea that garlic spray would kill bees too, and will look into it further

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 23:09 »
Peapod - I'm not 100% certain that all of the homemade remedies will kill bees (even though they will kill at least some of the good guys) - I just don't take any chances. If you find out for sure that garlic is bee-safe then let me know, although I'll probably not change my routine of only spraying insecticides at twilight (although I guess by then it's the moths that I have to get concerned about - can't win!)

SS

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 23:16 »
The problem is that the forum treads a fine line between what is and is not allowed.   We have to err on the side of caution when it comes to unregulated/banned by the EU remedies. 

Legally, the forum cannot be seen to condone anything that is banned by the EU.  Privately, you can do whatever works for you.  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 23:17 »
SS

This is the first ever year I have used a bug spray after being slack (I admit) with my GH husbandry and soap spray.  I too am careful when I use it, but really hate that I can no longer say I dont use sprays (greenfly nearly wiped the lot out)

I'll have a good look and talk to organic/non organic people and let us all know.

Ive got to mention the disclaimer that nothing I say - either as an AVG Mod or otherwise, is recommended by this site, and all info is taken at your own risk

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 00:26 »
I've planted nasturtium(spelling) by my broad and runner beans this year a great companion plant sacrifice and will do next year. But they'll need a lot off washing if you want to eat them. But i'd rahter have my beans :D :D :D

B_and_D

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18 »
Have a look around for ladybird larvae - they're usually look like tiny crocodiles with yellow / orange sots (don't laugh - you'll understand when you find them).  If you can find them then transplant to where the black fly are - they are incredible eaters - we had some globe artichokes absolutly covered with back fly.  A few larvae made short work of the flies in just over a week - almost clear now.  They're great getting rid of greenfly in greenhouses as well :)

wolfie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 13:38 »
My runner beans are badly infested with blackfly and those damn ants as well climbing all over my plants. There is a 99p bottle of green and blackfly killer in the poundland shops which I have used. You have to spray your crop every 7 days, anyone got any feedback as to whether blackfly spray works. I don't want to inadvertantly kill any ladybirds but ants are fairgame, damn things!

greenun

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 13:41 »
Try dilute molasses spray, It tastes yuckky.

diggerjoe

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 15:15 »
blackfly are on everything including the weeds - weird though that they seen to tolerate them and do not look at all sickly like my squash plants. I've loads of ladybirds but I reckin they are all full up :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 15:27 »
My runner beans are badly infested with blackfly and those damn ants as well climbing all over my plants. There is a 99p bottle of green and blackfly killer in the poundland shops which I have used. You have to spray your crop every 7 days, anyone got any feedback as to whether blackfly spray works. I don't want to inadvertantly kill any ladybirds but ants are fairgame, damn things!

The ants are only there because the blackfly are, wolfie. They "milk" them for their excretions, get rid of the blackfly and the ants will be gone as well.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 18:20 »
Try dilute molasses spray, It tastes yuckky.

Greenun

You have repeatedly been requested not to post about unregulated, banned, illegal substances.

If you continue to do so then your membership of this forum will be reviewed.

As has been pointed out on this thread as well as personally to you, this forum cannot condone anything banned by the EU.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Brussels.....the horror

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 21:00
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Allotment Horror! Eviction Notice

Started by rusbli on Grow Your Own

70 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 12:16
by Green man
xx
Blackfly

Started by Nugget on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 00:28
by crichmond
xx
blackfly... help!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:24
by clarabel

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 39 queries.