Draughty greenhouse

• 2 Replies

Officeboy

Draughty greenhouse
« on: October 01, 2017, 21:13 »
Hi there,

We've just moved house and very luckily there is a good sized but neglected greenhouse in the garden **happy face** It sits on paving slabs and while I was clearing it out at the weekend and noticed the slabs don't support it for about 4 feet on the long, south facing side, where there is a maximum gap of about an inch and a half.

Is there a simple way of sorting this? I can't imagine any basil or tomatoes will appreciate a cold wind around their toes next summer? Or should I be grateful for the ventilation?  :D

Many thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Draughty greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53 »
I'd buy a bag of ready mixed mortar or fine concrete and point up the gap, making sure as far as possible that the slabs are clean to ensure a good bond.

I built my greenhouse on what was a concrete patio area which I discovered slopes in two directions ::), so in one corner the frame sits on the concrete, in other places on mortared-in concrete bricks, and in others on just mortar - no problems at all after 7 years.  :)

Older greenhouses tend to have more 'ventilation' than new ones as the glazing strips deteriorate or somehow go AWOL, so I think it's a job worth doing for just a couple of quid.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Officeboy

Re: Draughty greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 20:59 »
Great, thanks Jay! Had visions of having to move the whole thing and re-lay it! Phew  :)

xx
B&Q Greenhouse

Started by carlrmj on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 12:12
by carlrmj
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 17:59
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
6x4 greenhouse

Started by Spana on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 17:49
by izzy
xx
Greenhouse

Started by sloegin on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 21:56
by sloegin

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.