Edging for beds

• 12 Replies

Honey65

Edging for beds
« on: October 30, 2013, 15:22 »
I've just searched the archive trying to find ideas for edging each of the beds on my plot (its on a slight slope) but drew a blank  ???

Lots of our neighbours have purpose built raised beds but I don't have the cash for that.  What else can I use / look for in skips etc?  I haven't managed to find scaffolding planks which would be an obvious choice so need to think of something else.  I have lots of pallets which I use to make paths but can't see how they'd be used as too narrow.  Imagination needed  :(

jrko

Re: Edging for beds
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 18:46 »
Try your local tip for wooden doors.  If you're handy with a saw you can whip up a bed or two.

When you do have the cash, scaffolders sell off their older boards quite cheaply or you can find gravel board for low price per m.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 20:14 »
If you just want edging and not raised beds, I would have thought that the pallet wood would work.  Breaking the pallet up is probably the hardest part.  I've got planks only about half inch thick or less supported by anything I can find, bottles, bits of dowel, old bits of garden arch and they work as a delineator between the path and the bed.
Anne

barley

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 21:52 »
old roof slates work a treat

you can cut them in half to make them go further and they are really tuff for strimming against

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:23 »
Scaffold companies nearly always have condemned planks in there stock (Health and safety won't let them use split or damaged planks) so call up a few and find the cheapest, I bought some last year for £2.50 each!

These planks have multi uses, I.E. work bench, compost bins, fencing, stakes, ect, ect.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:25 by Amilo »

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:19 »
some of my beds are edged in paving slabs, if sunk deep enough they need no posts to support them and any broken edges can of course be buried leaving good sides up. Progressively as I got drives and paths smartened up the redundant slabs either went into low walls for "bug" habitat or edgings. Luckily my happy acre is at home as slabs are heavy to transport.
the rest are edged in proofed timber I bought from a fencing maker. They are gravel boards in effect.
Perhaps if you keep your eyes open skips or people making house improvements might (with permission) yield something
R

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57 »
Gravel boards are usually very cheap, but using wood from pallets works just fine.

You can join teo (or more) pieces together with a wooden strut that they are both screwed two top and bottom, and if you make the wooden strut long enough you can hammer it into the ground to support the whole structure.

Just be careful on the corners that you don't screw in from either side at exactly the same height as the strut may split (as I found out the hard way  :lol: )

Using the length of the wood as a 'unit of measure' means you can create equal sized beds with no trouble ie three long and one across -or one and a half across) which utilises space well too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jezza

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 23:12 »
hi i use new reject scaffold planks (failed sag test) the companys in yorkshire if you know any one coming up here they might want a back load to your area   jezza

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 15:28 »
Mine are edged with old troughings that I got from a roofer.
Catherine

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 20:29 »
hi i use new reject scaffold planks (failed sag test) the companys in yorkshire if you know any one coming up here they might want a back load to your area   jezza

Hi, Could you let me know who and where they are please.

Cudders

Eblana

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 21:40 »
Try a local landscape company - one close to our site keeps decking boards for some of our guys when they are doing landscaping jobs that need old wooden decks to be removed

bravemurphy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 21:58 »
I have a lot of 450mmx450mm patio slabs that I am going to edge the side of my lotty with will dig a trench about 300mm and put them in tight.

Maybe a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end, I am getting fed up with the couch and stuff creeping in from the path, plus it will make a good shutter when I eventually concrete the path.

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26 »
I have a nice level site and I used the green corrugated rolls of lawn edging to delineate between the paths (woodchip) and the growing beds.

In places it already going brittle and is not fox resistant (Basil has shredded some when he has been digging).

However a local window company is moving and has shed loads of plastic framing and flat section that they have to get rid off because their new yard is smaller and it's not worth transporting this stuff. So I asked if I could have some and was told to take what I wanted. I have cut up lots of strips into 2.4m lengths and I have taken two car loads to my plot for the new beds and to replace the old stuff. 

xx
Plastic Edging for Veggie Beds

Started by jjat8cv on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 23:06
by noshed
xx
Edging

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 16:44
by arugula
xx
One for the woodworkers amongst you ... plot edging

Started by rogertb on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 21:26
by cadalot
clip
Plot timber "edging"

Started by rogertb on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2019, 07:32
by rogertb

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.