Loss of feet feathers in cochin - Musings on a variety of potential causes?

• 1 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Morning,

Been keeping an eye on our cochin for a little while now. She has lost quite a lot of feathers from her feet and I can see what look like the broken stubbs of the quills sticking out.

I thought initially it was one of the other birds pulling them out and eating them as her nice soft feathers have been a target for a couple of the other birds. We've now dealt with this using beak bits. She did look to be growing smaller new feathers on her legs so I then wondered if it was just part of the moulting cycle as she is still a young bird and not yet in lay. I think when I first noticed it there was the odd (small) blooming mark but the beak bits seem to have stopped this.

I've tried for a closer look and a photo this morning but am going to have to get some help later from the OH. I don't think it's Scaly Leg Mite from comparison with photos on Google Images. I'm not sure if I can see tiny red spots which would indicate red mite. We did have a minor red mite infestation a couple of weeks ago but I think I caught it early enough and I haven't seen any since. I know they're very difficult to get rid of however we have a plastic coop and I've jetwashed and dusted with DE and none of the other birds seem affected. The coop is due a good clean on Friday so will check everthing again then

She seems in generally good health, does not have trouble walkng and I haven't seen her paying her feet too much attention.

The only other thing I've observed is that her wattles and comb have been well developed for about three weeks now. Her wattles and face are nice and red but her comb has remained paler and looks a bit white in places. I hesitate to use the word crusty as it looks a bit more like dry skin on a human than anything else. She's not in lay yet and have been wondering when she would start but thought the feather pecking might have been dealying it through stress.

I'm not overly worried about her just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and trying to continue learning about chicken health generally

Casey76

Hi Ben, it is extremely difficult to keep foot feathering intact if your birds are outside.  A lot of cochin breeders (who breed for show) either keep their birds in barns, or have deeply bedded runs where they can't scratch anything hard and allow the birds access to grass for short periods at a time.

Generally, unless a feather breaks very close to the skin it shouldn't cause too many problems, and can just look a bit unsightly/ratty.  If they dreak very close to the quill, they can bleed quite a lot, so it's best to keep some wound powder handy, just in case.

It is not uncommon for wattles and ear lobes to redden up before the comb.  Cochins in general have small neat combs (smaller than orpingtons) and it won't redden up until she is just about to come into lay.

xx
Feet Feathers

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 15:24
by happychickens
xx
loss of feathers ?

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 09:33
by lisa80
xx
Loss of feathers

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 16:37
by tesni
xx
loss of feathers (please help)

Started by frodomb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:32
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 37 queries.