Duck question ... is it fair..

• 5 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Duck question ... is it fair..
« on: September 12, 2011, 15:06 »
Is it fair to put ducklings away at night?

We have 4 four month old call ducks and have been putting them away a night for safety.  But now it's getting dark earlier should we put some water and food in with them as they are in a lot longer now. 
At the moment we put them away just before it is really dark and let them out around 6.45 am, is this wrong. 
We haven't seen any foxes for a while but there are a lot around here.  I know the ducks are safe on the pond but left out I know they will roam around about a third of an acre and will be easy prey for any preditor.  I am in a real quandry about this.  Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Springlands

Re: Duck question ... is it fair..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 16:04 »
Kathie - we have exactly the same problem. As soon as it gets dusk the hens put them selves to bed in the hen house but the ducks would splash about or wander about all night unless both OH and I herd them into their enclosure but we still feel that it is better to do so because we also have foxes in the area and better safe than sorry.

It is not stopping them from laying eggs - we get three each day now that they have started laying.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 16:28 »
Thanks Springlands, we don't have a fox proof enclosure so they are put into their house. Would you recommend we put food and water in with them now they are away for so long?

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 17:15 »
Kathie - we do not put food or water into the hen house or the ducks enclosure overnight - there is a danger that it can attract vermin.

The only time we ever put food into the hen house was last December during the bad snow when the hens absolutely refused to come out of their house (cannot say that I blame them).  :) :)  We did not have the ducks then but I think they would be more adventurous.

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 20:12 »
I agree with all advice given. We have three Khaki Cambells and they would happily play out in the moonlight until goodness knows what time and so be very vulnerable to predators. I tend not to let them out too early just to make sure they lay in their house. So at the moment (September) it's not until about 7.30am. Using a torch to heard them seems to work well. They do not want the beam of light to touch them and so move away from it.

Orchardlady.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14 »
Thanks again Springlands and Orchardlady,  we haven't put food or drink in with them for same reasons.  I just feel so mean putting them away for so many hours now, but thanks to your advice I will try and think about their safety and I must admit they don't seem any worse for their extra hours in bed.  As I said they are 4 months old and have not started to lay yet, we will expect that next year.
Thanks again

xx
Duck question?

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 19:09
by Bobbie
xx
Duck Question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 17:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
duck question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 06:58
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Help please with a Duck question (again)!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 15:48
by flangey

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 39 queries.