Help please with a Duck question (again)!

• 4 Replies

flangey

Help please with a Duck question (again)!
« on: June 01, 2010, 14:35 »
Hello, me again, I'm rearing my first duckling, Nellie, she was Nelson when she was born as one of her eyes was shut, then is opened and all was well, but after about 3 weeks it was fairly obvious 'he' was a 'she'!! Anyway, I digress, I havn't reared her alone, my friend lent me two of his day old chicks to keep her company and they all live very happily together.  The question is, when will she be old enough to join my flock?  She's seven weeks now, I have three other girls and one drake.  (They're Mini Appleyards by the way). 

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Help please with a Duck question (again)!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 15:04 »
I've introduced Patrick babies (Kate's ducklings) to mine at 4 weeks old. There were a few scuffles, but now all is fine - apart from the ducks eating the chick crumb and growers and the ducklings eating the layers pellets  ::) My other ducklings will be joining them at three weeks as their mum Eve is starting already to want to leave them as they are so big (she probably thinks her chicks are now 6 weeks old and not 2 week old ducks the poor hen!

flangey

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 15:38 »
Thanks Caralou that's great.  I was a bit worried that 'Frank' my drake would try and mount her! Hope that doesn't sound daft, I'm assuming they nature tells them that she's too young for all that nonsense!!?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 15:41 »
Well...... Bumble did try to mount Holly in the water, but I had words with him (screamed while running down the garden!) and she quickly jumped out of his way. I think it was dominance not sexual as she was really pushing her luck with him (kept battering him off the food and running at him). When Daisy was in the water he ignored her and I've had no problems since when Holly is swimming. I kept a close eye the first day and since then have left them to it and all seems well  :)

flangey

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 15:48 »
Great thanks, I'll go and tell her the good news, and take Frank to one side and have a word  :)

xx
duck question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 06:58
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Duck question?

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 19:09
by Bobbie
xx
Duck Question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 17:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Duck, maybe Goose question..

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:38
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.