Duck question?

• 8 Replies

Bobbie

Duck question?
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:36 »
Can anyone tell me, do minature silver apple yard drakes make a similar  noise to drake call ducks
Bobbie

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Duck question?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00 »
Can anyone tell me, do minature silver apple yard drakes make a similar  noise to drake call ducks
Bobbie
Hi! I do believe that the minature silver appleyard has call duck blood to make it small so think they can be noisey compared to the large breed! but someone with much more duckie knowledge may be along soon!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vember

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41 »
Any chance you could record it Bobbie, I have two call drakes and would be able to tell if I heard it :D

Sarah :)

Bobbie

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 16:48 »
 ???apologies,  had a senior moment when I wrote this, going through a bad spell.
We have chickens, and wanted something different so decided we would like a small duck. Bought a house and built another pond just for the duck. Bought a male call duck about 2 years old, think he might be a blue bib, at the same time bought 2 girls 1 apricot and 1 white about 12 weeks old, they were not together at the time. All settled in great, and get on with the 2 dogs and cat.
Went to put the chickens away on the 3rd night, and lost the ducks, could not find them anywhere in the garden. Found them indoors watching tv with the dogs, after finding them in the dogs bowl in the kitchen next day, decided to put up childs gate at the back door, which works. Only problem here is, my broody hen, which we took away from the chicken coop, now sits on it.
Ducks have the run of the garden, and with both of us at home now, and the dogs and cat in out of the back door, the femail ducks get excited and are being so loud, and is not acceptable in our enviroment, and am considering rehoming them, but I still want small ducks. I was wondering whether minature female silver appleyards make as much noise, and have these for company for the male call duck, or wheter to have two males together.
Bobbie

Vember

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 17:20 »
Ahhh understand now :D

I've never had min appleyards so unable to help really, but in my experience most females are noisy :)

Sarah :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 18:16 »
Except those magpie ducks you've got!

Generally the females are all louder than the males but some breeds are much less so. My full sized Appleyard is much quieter than the Campbells. Muscovies are very quiet but large ducks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 18:28 »
Generally the females are all louder than the males but some breeds are much less so.

It's a universal problem across most species  :D :wub:

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 19:04 »
Chickens and cocks to that!!!

Bobbie

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 19:09 »
 :ohmy:
So thats why I get called gobby Bobbie at home!

xx
Duck Question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 17:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
duck question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 06:58
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Help please with a Duck question (again)!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 15:48
by flangey
xx
Duck, maybe Goose question..

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:38
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 33 queries.