How can we do this for less than £18

• 16 Replies

Poolfield2

Re: How can we do this for less than £18
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43 »
I can see that adding a longer handle would make it easier but you couldn't fasten a stabalising disc on the bottom cos then you wouldn't be able to push the "plug" through into the "sleeve". I agree though that a heavier, longer plunger would make the compacting less painful and more effective.

David.

Re: How can we do this for less than £18
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 19:21 »
I've been thinking of making a dry log maker for some time (I have 'wet' log maker see - http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=24733.15) but drying wet logs on radiators drains energy from your central heating and creates condensation (OH has City & Guilds in Energy Advice).

So this is my first prototype which should make mini logs from stuffed bog roll tubes and only cost about £1 to make:

Simply insert bog roll tube then tap down scrap paper inside using a length of dowel and a hammer, then open then catch to release 'mini log'. When yours run out (and those of neighbour's, etc.), create an alternative tube out of newspaper - rather like when making a 'newspaper pot', twisting both ends to seal it.

If successful, I don't see why it couldn't be increased in size (which would probably necessitate using a jig/fret saw to form the hole - and definitely making in laminated layers -  rather than a 50mm tank cutter) and maybe a club hammer to compress the paper.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 34 queries.