eco balls and e cloths - anyone use them?

• 37 Replies

titch

« on: August 27, 2008, 09:32 »
I am seriously considering purchasing some eco balls and e cloths from the lakeland store, wondered if anyone uses them, and if so do they work well.

Having to seriously economise, and whilst initial outlay may be more, i think in the long run i would save a lot of money.
Ecoballs - do they get your clothes clean - including 15 year olds who play footie at lunchtime at school and get mud plastered up his trouser legs?

Ecloths - can you realy use them without cleaners (love this idea)

All answers gratefully recieved
just keep breathing................

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 13:02 »
sounds intriguing.  will have to go look them up.  I knew someone who used those little balls in their tumble dryer instead of comfort etc and they swore by those but not heard of the eco balls.  would they work on nappies you think?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

titch

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 14:02 »
i have those little balls for the tumble dryer - got mine in poundland for guess how much - and they are the bees knees - save on drying time, nothing gets tangled, way less creased (cos seroiulsy who has time or inclination to iron - not me). :lol:

I have searched these balls with a famous search engine beginning with g and there were some reviews (loads actually) on there for them so think i am going to get myself to lakeland and give them a go - you can get a starter pack in there for 9.99 and they are refillable and on the ethical shop website says that if you dont like them you can return them and get a full refund - if something does that its usually worth a look.
there was something on  there about nappies - washing them that is .

Have a look in the lakeland shop link on this site and you can read all about them.

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 18:54 »
I have one of the ecloths for glass and it's brilliant.

I use vinegar (the white sort) and water for most of my cleaning,  and I buy it in glass bottles that can be recycled. I use water and vinegar for cleaning floors, worktops, limescale on sinks, descaling the kettle, mirrors and windows. It does honk a bit but it doesn't last too long and it is cheap and non toxic. :D

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 21:01 »
I have tried Eco balls, not the ones Lakeland sell, but a similar kind and they are rubbish!

A Which? Report tested them and said they are no better than washing with water alone.

I have treid all sorts of Eco friendly washing products and most are nothing like as good as mainstream products, I include soapnuts and ecover in this.

Recently I have found Simply Wahsing who are brilliant, and they will send a sample if you email them.
http://www.simplywashing.com

I am really impressed with them, and Good houskeeping have rated them well.

With regard to washing nappies I always used to make this, I use it for towels and sheets too, nothing too heavy.
It's a bit of a witches brew, but I think it's such fun to make and makes you feel very smug!! LOL
http://www.gaia-exchange.sunmaia.net/laundrygloop.htm

Some people swear by it for all their washing, I don't know if we are jsu t hard on clothes or what, but I like clean clothes like I am used to!

Eco cloths are great!! I like Micro fibre cloths too!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:10 »
Nope for heavy dirt your eco balls will probably not keep you happy. I suggest that you use them for your general not particularly dirty stuff and keep a small packet of something stronger for the results of football. That way you get clean washing and save money.

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 18:30 »
I use ecover all the time.  Laundry liquid for everyday stuff, bio tabs for whites and towels.
I have never had a problem.

Poolfield2

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 19:01 »
Sharon, you must be cleaner than me cos I can never get our stuff really clean with ecover, I alternate it with a gutsy biological powder from the place we can't mention. So I only save the planet on alternate weeks :oops:

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 19:43 »
Poolfield, please try the Simply washing, it is fabulous!!

ANd Sharon, give it a go, it is eco like Ecover, but is british made, so way better then ecover in food miles.

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 20:08 »
The thing that puts me off is they use plastic tubs.  There are no facilities near me for recycling plastic.  
They also put perfume in, me and my lot tend to get rashes with unknown added perfumes.  Thats one of the reasons I changed to ecover in the first place.

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 22:54 »
I see from the website that you can buy simply washing in w aitrose so the next time I'm near one I'll buy some and give it a go.

Annie

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 00:24 »
Microfibre cloths(same as the basic e cloths but often cheaper)are invaluable and make cleaning glass cooker doors,stainless steel easy and smear free as well as ordinary cleaning and just used damp!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 11:44 »
Quote from: "Sharon"
The thing that puts me off is they use plastic tubs.  There are no facilities near me for recycling plastic.  
They also put perfume in, me and my lot tend to get rashes with unknown added perfumes.  Thats one of the reasons I changed to ecover in the first place.

buy the refills, they come in cardboard. I use the tubs, but then I buy refills and so the tubs get used and used, they are a lovley size, I have been known to store buiscuits in them.

Is there purfume in the Sensitive and Pure ones?

(ETA)"Simply Pure has a hypoallergenic, eco-smart formulation and contains no perfume or optical brighteners - and gives you a gentle non-biological wash. It's ideal for taking extra care of your family's skin"

Well, I have to admit, the purfume is one of the things I like, I like my washing to smell, I cannot wean myself off it, I have tried!! :oops:  LKike I said if you email them, they will send yo ua sample to try. nothing to loose!

titch

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 12:36 »
have bitten the bullet and ordered some eco balls and e cloths so will keep you posted - if theya re rubbish have only lost a tenner so we shall see  :D

fluffybunny

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 12:44 »
Sad I know, but I've done you a 'before' and after shot of my hubby's mountain biking shorts.  Most of the mud was from yesterday (although I suspect some of it was there before that!) and I washed them using the ecoballs on a short 30 degree wash this morning...

xx
Washing balls

Started by ManicMum on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 21:55
by grinling

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.