PLEASE HELP. Newly hatched chick with splayed legs

• 7 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Please help, 2 of my incubated eggs hatched yesterday.
One chick is hale an hearty, the other, however, is having difficulty standing.
Her legs seem to be splayed either side, is there anything i can do?
They were hatched on a proper non-slip chick surface, which I have moved into the brooder. The chick seems very healthy otherwise.
I have hatched numerous eggs this season this is the first problem I have had, is it somethin I did?

Really would like to help the chick, I dont want the other to be on its own.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Casey76

Re: PLEASE HELP. Newly hatched chick with splayed legs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:24 »
Hi Rileyfin... it is not the end of the world ;)

Has the chick got feathered or clean legs?  feathers make the splinting process a bit more of a fiddle, but it can still be done.

Take a plaster - just a normal sized one (about 3in x 3/4in) and cut it in half length ways.

Take the sticky protectors off and on one side, place the chicks leg next to the little pad in the middle of the plaster and wrap the plaster aound it  and stick it down.

Repeat on the other side, gently bringing the other leg into alignment, so they are now either side of the pad (which is very conveniently just about the right size).

Once you have both legs hobbled with the plaster, place the chick in the brooder chest down (don't put them on thier back as they can suffocate).  It may take a couple of days before he finds his feet (this is OK - remember they live off the absorbed yolk for upto 72 hours after hatching).

Generally check the position and tightness of the plaster every day, and replace after every three.

Splay leg can usualy be corrected within a few days.  Remember to mark the chick  (leg ring or similar) and note it so you never breed from it.

Good luck!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25 »
herre is 1 method of correcting:-

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

or you can quite simply use an elastic band (small) and slide a little bit of a straw over it making two little leg holes each side of the tube.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31 »
If you do a search on here for splayed legs, there's lots of ways to correct it. some favour the elastic band/straw method, others Elastoplast splints and I tend to use bent pipe cleaner (see link - http://adorablebudgies.co.uk/splayed_legs.php )-  but whichever one you use, it must be kept on for a few days, but you must check that it's not too tight, especially if using pipe cleaner. Before you apply it, make sure you have a spare hour that you can sit and keep an eye on the chick as it will fall all over the place when you first apply it and you'll need to steady it if it falls in it's water etc.
What type of surface do you have the chicks on? If any of it is shiny, even with wood shavings etc; they can still slip and this causes the splay. Put an old tea towel, kitchen roll or the anti-slip matting you can get which costs about £1 for a metre - that's excellent for lining brooders.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:43 by Helenaj »

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 15:28 »
Thank you so much for all your advice.

I have actually made a spint from vet wrap, we use it on the horses and it is a crepe bandage that sticks to its self. I then use a little of a elastaplast just to stick over the join.

I have to admit i did take the first one off because the chick seemed to freak out, but have i have put another one on after reading all of your posts and will give it a couple of days. Will harden up and leave this one on!

I use a non slip mat, but read that this can occur with a late hatchling and she was 24hrs after the other one.

Thanks again for all the advice

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Splay legged chick
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 16:23 »
Hey guys,

Once again thank you very much for all your advice for my chick.

Just wanted to let any people who may have this problem in future, vet wrap works a treat. you can get it from any farm store, saddler or your vet. It is a crepe bandage that sticks to itself without any kind of adhesive or glue. It does come in quite a big roll for a chicken because it is normally used on larger animals, I cut it horizontally into thin strips.

My chicks are miniature silkies, the chicks are so small and have feathered legs so made some of the other options unsuitable.

My chick is presently throwing itself round the brooder, screetching loudly in disgust at having such a contraption round her legs. I am trying not to listen as it has only been on 15 minutes and hope that she settles down and gets used to it.

She will wont whe, please tell me she will :blink:. Think I should have stuck to my horses, far less stressful!

Thanks again!

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 18:01 »
Great idea with the vet wrap, i would agree horses are less stressful but it's worth it in the end  :)  Good luck.
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 16:13 »
She will get used to it and if you take it off to test her legs and then have to put it back on again, she'll start all over again! But it's worth it when you see them standing on two lovely strong legs.

xx
chick with splayed legs

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 18:45
by Foxy
xx
Chick with splayed (spraddled) legs

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:43
by Helenaj
xx
Poorly chick, looks like opposite to splayed legs - Great news!!!!

Started by Squiggly on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:27
by CluckyChicken
sad
Splayed legs (Rickets)

Started by Happy Hens on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 21:04
by kazzer

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 33 queries.