Caring for newly hatched chicks

• 5 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Caring for newly hatched chicks
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:31 »
Hi all,

Day 21 of the eggs under little Olive and whilst none have hatched yet, we can hear the tap tap tap of the eggs under her. When they hatch out, is there anything extra we should do for them? We have them in a maternity hutch (old rabbit run) with chick crumbs and water in a bowl with stones in to stop them getting into difficulty. They will have a small amount of space to wander on some grass in the run. However this is all very new territory for us and would be glad of any advice you could give

agapanthus

Re: Caring for newly hatched chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:25 »
You have done all you can....now just leave it up to mother-hen. She'll show them the ropes! :) :) :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 19:03 »
It's now up to Olive to show them how everything's done  :D.

My 2 chicks which hatched out on Sunday are shut in one of our hen houses with their Mum  :).
I've put a plastic chick drinker in there, with marbles in it to stop them getting into difficulty (as you said) and a small bowl of chick crumbs. They're getting more and more adventurous all the time  ::) :lol:.

How's the cracked egg getting on? Is it pipping yet?

I candled my cracked one yesterday and was surprised to find that there was a masssive amount of movement going on in there!! I hope it survives  :).

Best wishes,
P.C.  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 19:05 by Pretty Chick »
All lives are precious.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 22:43 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Yippee, 1 escapee from their prison shell, happened about 6pm. Olive being very protective and gets agitated if we go too close, so am worried in case she tramples it  :unsure:

Great news on yours Pretty Chick. Think our cracked egg is no more as we found a dead chick half out of it shortly after posting  :( Hopefully the others will hatch soon. When Olive got off for a quick stretch and poop this afternoon, four eggs had chips (haha - just realised) that had come from the inside and we could see most of the others moving about when the chick inside twitched. So out of 9 eggs, will hopefully get 6 or 7  :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 19:12 »
So glad yours are doing well Tazzy  :)  :happy:. Poor little cracked egg one though  :(

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 23:14 »
Thanks PC.........now have 6 hatched, 1 egg cheeping loudly, 1 chipped egg with very weak cheeps and fear the worst, last egg seems to be very quiet. This is hard to do, just waiting for them to emerge, but I guess I have to let nature take its course at this point  :(

xx
Caring for newly hatched chicks..SO excited !!!

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 10:46
by hulgrin
question
Help newly hatched chicks.

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 10:50
by joyfull
xx
Newly Hatched Picture

Started by Viv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 17:05
by Viv
question
PLEASE HELP. Newly hatched chick with splayed legs

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 16:13
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 28 queries.