So what to do ??- The Great Tomato Experiment

• 239 Replies

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
Re: So what to do ??- The Great Tomato Experiment
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2012, 22:11 »
All of mine are planted out now, but the last one that went in was a day before it was really sunny and the poly tunnel got up into the 30's. I think the roots in the small pot weren't developed enough to get moisture up quickly and the went very wilting... Have removed all of the damaged leaves and will see how they go.

The best performing are my Ildi cherries, which I didn't sow until mod-Feb. Both are over two foot tall with multiple flower buds. My only problem now is what to do with my spare one that's still in the spare room...

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2012, 20:21 »
Hi

these are gardeners delight, sowed about end of Jan, quite tall,  have just been pinching out the tiny leaves in the elbows of the plant.  No flowers as yet.
SAM_0612.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2012, 20:29 »
I have just brought all of mine in form the greenhouse for the next few days.

Even with the polysheet cover I made, I don't think they'd like the 4C we're forecast for the next few nights  :ohmy: better safe than sorry.
Just the experimental one left out there, so I can show the difference between the cold grown and the warm!

starry

« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2012, 18:24 »
just to report in...... after sowing some tomatoes on the 6th of January to see how they would get on and whether or not I would gain anything, bearing in mind if I had a heated greenhouse or any green house I could have put them in when they had been big enough to transplant it might have been a different story, but I can say I gained absolutely nothing!!, they all did really well but the seeds I sowed some months later actually over took the original ones so I shan't be doing that again and cluttering up my conservatory  :D 
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

LilacSandy

« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2012, 19:11 »
I have two tiny fruit on one of the January sewn ones  :) and then I went and snapped another lage one in half when moving it.  :mad:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2012, 19:59 »
Starry - ditto!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2012, 23:01 »
just to report in...... after sowing some tomatoes on the 6th of January to see how they would get on and whether or not I would gain anything, bearing in mind if I had a heated greenhouse or any green house I could have put them in when they had been big enough to transplant it might have been a different story, but I can say I gained absolutely nothing!!, they all did really well but the seeds I sowed some months later actually over took the original ones so I shan't be doing that again and cluttering up my conservatory  :D 
Starry - ditto!
I am the opposite.
Phase 1 sowed 15/1/12 are now 3' tall on average, bearing fruit, 4th truss flowering
Phase 2 sowed 4/3/12 are now 18" on average. 1st truss showing.
phase 3 sowed 1/4/12 are now 4" tall now in their intermediate pots.

All grown on kitchen window, transferred to bedroom windows and then into unheated conservatory. Had hoped to start climatising, but not much hope of that before June.

LilacSandy

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14 »
I have lost most of my Feb sowing and a lot of the March because of the appalling weather we have had lately and I do not have a heated greenhouse to grow all of them on, I also had a bad attack of whitefly.

I will have another go next year as the weather is different every year, last year the early part was good for tomatoes but the summer was dreadful and the previous year I had plants growing everywhere and was struck by late blight.  My feeling is that if I stagger sowing a few every month from Jan onwards then I shall be sowing some in the optimum month for that year.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2012, 15:52 »
My tomatoes have 3 trusses of flowers on.
The are coming much lower down due to the cold weather. They are not setting yet so will be late this year.
I am expecting a huge glut when it warms up.

starry

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2012, 16:57 »
Starry - ditto!
I am the opposite.
Phase 1 sowed 15/1/12 are now 3' tall on average, bearing fruit, 4th truss flowering
Phase 2 sowed 4/3/12 are now 18" on average. 1st truss showing.
phase 3 sowed 1/4/12 are now 4" tall now in their intermediate pots.

All grown on kitchen window, transferred to bedroom windows and then into unheated conservatory. Had hoped to start climatising, but not much hope of that before June.
Hi Ivor so what varieties have you sown ?? mine were 2 types of plum and a large Italian variety called "cuore" and one of the plums is "Roma"

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2012, 17:06 »
I have a first 'baby' tomato :D from the 9th January sowings...

LilacSandy

« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04 »
Me too.   :)

1st toms.jpg

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12 »
those with tomatoes I salute you! But after a really good crop last year....I'm having a nightmare! I sowed some Roma, cherry tomatoes adn brandwine....have one roma left, a couple of cherry tomatoes and one piddly widdly brandywine.

Am going to trawl around the open gardens locally to see if I can get anymore plants. Grr....

The good news I ahve lots of curly kale plants which seem to be thriving!
Thinking of the Days

snowdrops

« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2012, 18:10 »
those with tomatoes I salute you! But after a really good crop last year....I'm having a nightmare! I sowed some Roma, cherry tomatoes adn brandwine....have one roma left, a couple of cherry tomatoes and one piddly widdly brandywine.

Am going to trawl around the open gardens locally to see if I can get anymore plants. Grr....

The good news I ahve lots of curly kale plants which seem to be thriving!

I have loads left over, a bit straggly but most with flowers either gardeners delight or sweet million mainly + a couple of others if you want to collect them. Where in Leicestershire are you?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15 »
that's really kind of you snowdrops..have only jsut dseen this message! And i was giving a talk in Barwell the other night! Will dm you....

xx
The great onion seed v set experiment

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 07:05
by Brassica Blaz
xx
The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post September 20, 2017, 05:46
by Growster...
xx
TOMATO EXPERIMENT

Started by tiny50 on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 12:27
by tiny50
xx
Tomato experiment

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33
by J_B

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.