Sweetcorn

• 18 Replies

montygti

Sweetcorn
« on: April 10, 2012, 16:40 »
Can anyone help. I planted some corn in pots and it all came up and has grown to about 6-10cm. It then seems to rot where the plant goes into the compost and dies. Nearly everyone has done this. What is the problem? have i over watered, is the compost to wet, does the compost needs something in it so it doesnt stay too wet. Any help its been raking my brain all weekend.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 16:45 »
You're very early for sweetcorn, mine is still in it's packet and will be remaining there for a while.

Two things - your rough location would help, perhaps you could put it into your profile and where are you growing your plants?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 16:59 »

"Damping off" 

go sparingly with the water next batch and try and keep the temperature stable.        Cheers,      Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 17:19 »
Mine's in a propagator on the bedroom windowsill.
It's grown about 1.5 inch & I have not watered it since I planted the seeds on 1st April.
I have only just opened the vents on the propagator the other day & as it's getting warmer they will be going in the cold frame soon before planting out.
I do it this way each year & so far have never had a problem.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 23:06 »
Can I ask what variety you're all using?
I've never tried Sweetcorn .. might be tempted this year ....

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01 »
I'm using UNWINS "Supersweet" F1 Hybrid

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14 »

Do NOT resist the temptation - I can't think of any other veg which is so much better freshly picked and cooked than anything you can buy in a supermarket!  :)

"Swift" and "Lark" are both bred for British conditions, and we don't seem to get many complaints about them on here - there are others of course, and all of them would benefit from a better summer than we've had the last few years. Don't get over-enthusiastic though and plant more than one variety because the odds are you will be disappointed with the results.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 22:08 »
Thanks for those, I'll get some on the go.

I've had to give growing and my allotment   :(  the past 2 seasons due to other commitments etc ... can't wait to get back into it (on a smaller scale, back garden) and have had a sowing fest this past week ... to stop any more  withdrawl  symptoms   ::)
Its felt great getting my hands back in the dirt, I didn't half miss it! I'd forgotten how exciting it is to see seeds pop their heads above the soil. LOVE IT!  :)

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 22:14 »

Do NOT resist the temptation - I can't think of any other veg which is so much better freshly picked and cooked than anything you can buy in a supermarket!  :)

"Swift" and "Lark" are both bred for British conditions, and we don't seem to get many complaints about them on here - there are others of course, and all of them would benefit from a better summer than we've had the last few years. Don't get over-enthusiastic though and plant more than one variety because the odds are you will be disappointed with the results.

Lark for me; nice and early too!  :D

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 22:19 »

i agree its second only to fresh peas...  mmm fresh peas :D

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 22:25 »
Sounds scrummy ... def sowing some  :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 22:27 »
Don't get over-enthusiastic though and plant more than one variety because the odds are you will be disappointed with the results.

However, don't grow more than one variety within a close proximity of another variety as they are wind pollinated so if the pollen from the wrong variety gets on your silks (the soft stringy bits that stick out of the top of the unripe cob) they won't pollinate properly and you'll get nothing much.

I wouldn't advise having different varieties any closer than, say, 10-15 meters apart, depending on the windiness of your particular plot.

I'm putting Lark in this year as another plotholder always gets amazing results with his and I'm hoping to replicate his sucess :happy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 22:31 »
I think that's what JayG was saying.

It's not that they won't pollinate properly and you won't get much, but you're crossing two varieties, possibly both F1's and you could end up with something tough & indedible.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 22:38 »
Can't always be too sure what I'm on about these days, but yes that was what I was trying to say DD (and hopefully SnooziSuzi was agreeing with me!)  :unsure:  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 22:52 »
Hehe, sorry; that's just me not properly reading what people have said....  I'll get me coat :lol:

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo
xx
What sweetcorn please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 08:37
by MyAchingBack
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:50
by waddecar

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 33 queries.