Yellow Tomatoes.... Yuk

• 12 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Yellow Tomatoes.... Yuk
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:03 »
I have grown yellow toms this year (can't remember which variety), never again!! They are tasteless. But its sods law as I am awash with fruit. Not sure if this is the right question for here but has anyone got any ideas what I can do with them. It seems a pity to throw them away. I have 6 plants!

Chutney is a no no..

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Yellow Tomatoes.... Yuk
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:22 »
We grew Golden Nugget this year. I could barely describe a more delicious tomato. They succumbed to botrytis. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Settman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:03 »
I have an idea what to do with your yellow toms,you can use them all up and make a little cash too.
Find out where Tony Bliars next book signing is and flog them to everyone there,im sure they would find a good use for them  :D ;) :nowink:
Is God an Alien

olde9856

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14 »
I grow Sungold and they are some of the sweetest toms ever, but I have tried a yellow plumb this year and they have no taste at all.
Dont write off all yellows as poor, it is like all toms it comes down to the variety.
I also grow black, green large and small plumb, large cretian ones and marmande, so we are always awash with fruit at this time of the year. We make preserves from lots and bottle the plum ones.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22 »
I had a glut of yellow ones last year but they were a really soft fruit and too soft for my taste.  I made Val's ripe tomato and pepper chutney with them.  I have three different yellow varieties this year (Venus, Golden Cherry and Ildi) and I love them all.

diggerjoe

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57 »
Grew yellow currant this year better than sweets - using the glut in quiches and adding to sauces.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18 »
Freeze small bags of them, so that you can pop them into stews and casseroles over the winter

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 12:40 »
I have a heritage yellow variety and they are a bit acidic so I've been cooking with them and they're absolutely fine that way  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 13:15 »
I've grown Yellow Brandywine before, strange looking beefsteak toms, but lovely flavour, and I've grown a small type, but can't remember which one it was, also lovely.

But to use them up?  like already mentioned, freeze in small quantities for adding to stews and casseroles, but also tomato soup and pasta sauces don't have to be red! 

I'd take them off your hands if I was nearer as I only got to grow about 10 tom plants this year.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 13:20 »
I grew Sungold this year and absolutely hated them. It really is down to personal taste, I think. I've been using my Sungold for cooking, chucking them in casseroles or sauteing them. I did also use some in a batch of passata I made. Hopefully they won't affect the taste too much as they're a small proportion of the total. Even without the taste issue, they wouldn't have been much good for salads because a high percentage of them split. But if you saute or roast them with shallots, garlic or whatever, or bury them in a casserole, you don't really notice the taste.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 14:31 »
I have grown Sungolds for many a year, my only problem I have with them is the shear amount of toms they produce, they have great taste and the novelity factor to people who have never seen such a specimen.
I shall continue to grow them, I like to try the odd different one but for me the two main are shirley and sungold.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 17:00 »
I have an idea what to do with your yellow toms,you can use them all up and make a little cash too.
Find out where Tony Bliars next book signing is and flog them to everyone there,im sure they would find a good use for them  :D ;) :nowink:

Surely its illegal to sell them :unsure:
But you are right to who you throw them at :tongue2:!!!
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

RichardA

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 17:20 »
golden cherry, grandkids love them I don't -- too sweet and don't keep at all once picked. Gardeners delight far more to my liking amongst small varieties and Shirley, bless her, is still my favourite (just don't tell the wife !!)
R

xx
yellow on tomatoes

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 12:58
by kezlou
xx
yellow tomatoes

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2018, 17:46
by chrissie B
xx
Yellow Brandywine Tomatoes

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 22:31
by GrannieAnnie
xx
yellow pea

Started by jonandjen16 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 21:56
by DD.

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 40 queries.