When to cut losses and pick green tomatoes?

• 11 Replies

Sal1610

When to cut losses and pick green tomatoes?
« on: September 20, 2009, 20:05 »
I've got about ten tomato plants which were hit by blight, so I cut off all the affected leaves but left most of the tomatoes; some are ripening nicely and don't seem to be affected, plus there are lots of green ones. I'm wondering whether I should leave the green ones in the hope that they ripen, or pick them now in case they go bad later, and turn them into chutney so I at least get something from the crop. What would the experienced tomato growers out there do?

Any advice most welcome

Thanks
sal

devondave

Re: When to cut losses and pick green tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 22:26 »
I'd say strip the plants and make some yummmmmy tomato chutney, at least you can do that now, if you leave them any longer you might loose the lot

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 22:31 »
I agree with Dave. You're dealing with the unknown regarding blight so better to use up what you have or risk the chance of losing all.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 22:35 »
or use some for chutney, and put some of the best ones on the windowsill and see if they ripen nicely!!??

madcat

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32 »
We had to strip a patch of mixed Gardeners Delight and Roma tomatoes about a fortnight ago.  Kitchen paper on a couple of trays and laid out in a sunny window - had to pick a few (<10) out in the first couple of days that were showing signs of blight but past that stage and they are ripening nicely.   :) 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 16:21 »
In my experience tomatoes which are very green tend to shrivel before they ripen if taken off the plant, and are better made into chutney whilst still fresh.

If they are showing signs of turning yellow you will have a much better chance of ripening them successfully.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 18:37 »
Would the advice be the same without the blight?  I have lots of green tomatoes in the greenhouse and just wondering if they are likely to ripen now or whether to use them up in recipes?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 18:39 »
If the weather stays fine I might give mine another week or so, then bring them indoors to try to ripen them up or to use them, as described earlier on the thread  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 20:51 »
Most of mine are now yellow with only a couple green - so not enough for chutney.  Ill do the banana skin trick with those
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

madcat

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:02 »
Would the advice be the same without the blight?  I have lots of green tomatoes in the greenhouse and just wondering if they are likely to ripen now or whether to use them up in recipes?

While it stays warm and sunny, I would leave them on the vine.  When this lovely weather breaks - then would be the time to bring them in.

Debz

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:15 »
Last year my plants got frosted so I took the tomatoes off and put them on the window sill.  I was still eating my tomatoes into November and they turned red beautifully.  I don't like chutney so that wasn't an option for me!

Sal1610

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 20:06 »
Thanks for the comments and advice; I've picked 10lb of mostly green ones so will be making chutney with most of them, and leaving the ones that look as though they might ripen on the window sill.

Sal

xx
When to pick tomatoes?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 16:45
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
When to pick tomatoes

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2016, 09:41
by Brad26
xx
When to pick tomatoes

Started by orient96 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 12:54
by DHM
xx
green to red tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 19:27
by spuriousmonkey

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 36 queries.