Potting on

• 13 Replies

sclarke624

Potting on
« on: March 16, 2009, 16:31 »
Thought I would be clever and start things at begining of March, everything coming along nicely.  Only problems are my Lettuces, cucumbers and celery also marigolds and livingstone daisy are gettig a bit leggy.  I am going to risk putting some lettuces out.  I haven't got a greenhouse just the conservatory.  I am knackered after potting on what I could.  I hate potting on.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

paintedlady

Re: Potting on
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:56 »
lettuces would have been fine in some cold frames or cloches  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 13:48 »
During this mild spell I'd say pop them all outside during the day, a bit of a breeze should help stiffen the stalks, you may suffer a few casualties but some should survive and be stronger for it.

I'd never potted on before but did 30 toms last night, bit fiddly but I enjoyed it.  I may have changed my opinion though once I've potted all the others up though  :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 13:50 »
I ain't potting on for another couple of weeks.. they will start to get a tad cramped in the seed trays but doesn't normally do them any harm :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 15:42 »
It's not what you want to hear, but its far too early for cukes and they detest transplanting. I always seed them directly into proper sized pots about early April and they'll quickly take off in warmer temperatures and can simply be carefully lifted out of pot and into ground. Marigolds are also fast sprouters so I put them into tall flats and space out the seeds so they can simply grow before I divide them (with a knife) for planting outside. Same with any daisies. Lettuces are quick and could be planted out now with a bit of fleece. Celery also get their own pots to save all the fiddly stuff. Repotting isn't my favourite job as you can guess  ;)

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 17:39 »
Yep think I will be better organised next year.  There again said that last year.  The marigolds seem to have strenghtened up and grown since potting on.  Put some mini icebergs out with plastic bottle cloches, although there may be a frost tonight, still what will be will be.  One lot of Marigold I did space out so they will be ok.  The worst was the Livingstone daisies, didn't expect every one to germinate was a cheap B&Q packet.  think the outdoor cucks will be ok Trillium they were last year, its a sunny south bed down on the sunny south coast, I will be putting them into, they have slowed down a bit on growing now so I won't pot on as according to the packet I can put them out mid april.

The toms are easier LeeG don't mind doing them so much, and they always at least look like they appricaite the pot on with a bit of growth.

The icebergs didn't look too bad i.e. leggy but the rom/cos are always a problem to start early.

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 18:52 »
i find lettuce a lot more hardy than they look , over here you will allways see them in gardens in the winter even with snow .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 18:56 »
I love potting on,  it's just next to sowing and only slightly further ahead of planting out :)

it makes me feel like I'm actually getting something done

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 19:52 »
Anytime you feel the urge, Suzi, get yourself over here and you can knock yourself out with the stuff I have to repot  :happy: I take every shortcut I can find. I'd rather weed than repot.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 20:17 »
Hi, you can always prick out into trays ( 28 to a tray ) then you are potting on plants which is much easier.

Keep on a troshing J W

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 20:26 »
I like potting on  :) detest weeding  :tongue2: 

Trillium's spot on it's still early yet !
 marigolds for instance can start to flower at 13 weeks from sowing  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 23:16 »
Potting on,pricking out,fiddling and twiddling!
I spent all weekend in the garden sowing and potting on etc and now back at work i keep thinking how much i enjoyed last weekend.I was really enjoying it at the time so new i would look back having really enjoyed it!
How great to be back doing garden duties.Let the dust and dirt build up indoors as long as i cant find a weed or pot out of place in the garden  :D

purplebean

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23 »
I don't mind potting on. I haven't started anything yet though, too early without a greenhouse and we are going away at Easter, so the big sow will be after Easter for us. Hopefully that wll mean things are just at the right stage for moving outdoors as the weather gets more predictable (rain i assume!!!)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:05 »
Anytime you feel the urge, Suzi, get yourself over here and you can knock yourself out with the stuff I have to repot  :happy: I take every shortcut I can find. I'd rather weed than repot.

Oi she lives closer to me, so Suzi get your self to mine and pot on.

xx
potting on?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 10:04
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Potting on

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 19:36
by Dantheman
xx
Potting On?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 16:31
by savbo
xx
why keep potting on

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 22:16
by digalotty

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 29 queries.