give new allotment holder,tips please,

• 18 Replies

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 13:46 »
thanks for your tips,we had a full afternoon done my jungle allotment yesterday,i manged to find some strawberries just coming up,so i dug up the good ones and have brought them home to pot up,keep warm,until i have finished removing all the weeds and dead grasses.Also found two rhubarb crowns just peeping through ,which were covered with weeds before,my 10 years old had great fun,making a frame with old wire he found and putting old plastic bags over the top ,to protect them from the cold.Both my boys took great delight in helping the hubby with the fire in the oil drum,but ended up putting too much damp stuff in,despite out warning not to,ending up in the fire going out.

keep the advice coming thanks. jen
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 16:44 »
On the subject of children:

Kids love little packets of seeds!  One of my daughters (13) keeps her own shoebox full of seeds and when she & I want to cheer ourselves up we get out our seed boxes and plan the year's sowings.  :tongue2: :tongue2:.  She has her own corner of the garden too & last year grew much better sweetcorn than I did.

It's great then on nice days to wander round together and imagine what might be growing where in the summer.  I like to draw out plans for beds, and so does she - so we end up with artistic coloured-in (and not quite to scale) sketches.  My eleven year old daughter likes this too - although her labels are much more  imaginative as she's very into writing her own stories and the maps get to be part of the story.

Oh and if you want to give a particularly pretty seed out to inspire - try the YinYang bean seeds!  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

I admit however that I am lucky, our back garden is our "allotment" so my offspring can wander in and out as they please.  The disadvantage to this, of course, is the amount of "garden" that ends up in the house, especially on a wet day! :lol:

I've been gradually doing more & more each year in the garden, and although I do the bulk of the work, it is great to have kids who enjoy helping.  Collecting produce is also popular.  The first year is the toughest, but next year the bits you sorted this year will be easier to control so pace yourselves and don't worry if you can't do everything you want the first year.

Get the perennials sorted early I think - rhubarb takes so little effort after the initial establishment.  Likewise fruit bushes and trees.

Best wishes.

Sally
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 18:36 »
i have put some photos on of my plot,you can see its really run down ,,,phew loads of work to do,
the shed is more of a damp shack ,god the work looks never ending!!!      

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 18:44 »
The shed is the start of my plot this is the side ,,that is not my beer can in the mess,lol. :oops:

this is leading down top the end where the metal compost heap is,i have missed out the mass of raspberries' canes in the middles that,are a jungle nightmare

xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47
question
Advice for new allotment holder

Started by Juliek1313 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:58
by Juliek1313

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 31 queries.