best places to get hold of potatoes for chitting please

• 18 Replies

eco-friendly

hi everyone i started digging on my plot this weekend and have double dug a potatoe patch,yay,now i just need to buy some potatoes and chit them. please could people let me know where they buy theirs from,online?where?or maybe garden centres? i have decided to start simple and just grow one variety this year and i love maris pipers so any suggestion on best place to buy gratefully recieved x :D
for thousands of years men and women managed to grow fruit and veg for thier families without petrol strimmers,rotovaters,plastic sheets,cars or round-up.

fatbelly

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 21:09 »
I have seen plenty of seed spuds at B & Q and Wilkinson's.

Also try your local Garden Centres, I would be amazed if they didn't have just what you want. I am growing Rocket as my Earlie's and Vivaldi and Pink Fir Apple as my maincrop.

Obviously its your choice but I feel it would be a shame to just grow one variety. And Maris Piper can be gotten at most supermarket's. What don't you consider growing another variety or two, unless of course space is a real problem.

Have fun FB.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

eco-friendly

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 21:21 »
Thanx fatbelly i will defiantly try wilkinsons as there's one close to me and they are usually alot cheaper than b&q.
The reason im only growing one variety this year is because im a complete novice and even though i intend to keep it very simple first year i already have a huge list of things i want to grow.
Perhaps if i have any joy with first lot this year i will spread my wings a little further next year and try some other types. If you know of a better all rounder than maris piper please tell me, as i say im a novice and just know that i have cooked and eaten the supermarket maris's and like them.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 00:07 »
Your own Maris Piper will taste miles better than the supermarket ones as well.

I'd agree with FB to the extent that you might want to consider just a drill or so of an early variety too.  Otherwise - cos I know what you are like - you'll be digging up your Maris Piper before they are ready.  :wink:

splodger

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 00:25 »
i like kestrel and marfona - but i have been to a spud fair today - and now i have 12 varieties to grow  :roll:

i always like to grow lots of what i use alot - spuds, onions, garlic, salads etc etc

and i don't like to buy phaff from the supermarkets - when i can grow far superior delights - of my own

i still have over 50 onions in store - and keeping very well - and i am just coming to the end of my spuds - i have not bought any veg from anywhere - let alone supermarket - since april - i'm now worried that i am going to start to run out of things  :cry:

just grow what you eat alot of - and go for quality - in taste, yeild, easibilty etc

spuds are so easy to grow - so it is better you enjoy the sucess of them - before you get thwarted by something else  :wink:

brucesgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23 »
They had a really good selection in Homebase last week - about £2.00 for bags of 20 I think. I thought that was good value, but I had already pre-ordered mine from Dobies as I couldn't get the varieties I wanted last year.

eco-friendly

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 14:52 »
i just bought 3kg of desiree for £2.80 and 3kg of maris piper for £3, from wilkinsons.[/IMG] hope the picture comes out ok.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 14:55 »
Both are maincrop BTW.

You might actually want to separate them since it'll be hard to spot the colour difference after a week in full light. :D

mushroom

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 14:59 »
Homebase had seed potatoes in this morning, a fair variety

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 15:02 »
How true. :roll:  :lol:

Scab? Which is not the end of the world, if it is that, might be just spotty picture.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

matron

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 21:05 »
I have ordered my seed potatoes from Thompson and Morgan. I am still using the potatoes I grew last year although they are almost at the end. I would try more than one variety, my best lates are Cara and Valor.

WG.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 21:11 »
There is an excellent WYSIWYGGY thread covering chitting potatoes on http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10941   Also navigable by using the WYSIWGGY link in my signature followed by Index of Vegetables, then Potato planting :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 21:13 »
Arrrrrrghhhhhh said it before and I will say it again, support your local garden centre if you have one, its worth it in the long run, they will be free with all the advice you will ever need and they will be just as cheap and have more varities, ours have loads, guessing at least 20 new and more main, anyone in Blackpool area would agree with me if they popped down to Baguley's.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 21:24 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Arrrrrrghhhhhh said it before and I will say it again, support your local garden centre if you have one, its worth it in the long run, they will be free with all the advice you will ever need and they will be just as cheap and have more varities, ours have loads, guessing at least 20 new and more main, anyone in Blackpool area would agree with me if they popped down to Baguley's.
    Someone told me they've got a vicious dog roaming loose.  :wink:
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:20 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
Someone told me they've got a vicious dog roaming loose.  :wink:

I with a nice pink collar  :wink:

xx
Chitting my own potatoes?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 17:56
by mumofstig
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 20:19
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by DavidD on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 12:11
by Doddy
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2019, 09:02
by New shoot

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 33 queries.