When to pick tomatoes

• 3 Replies

Brad26

When to pick tomatoes
« on: May 30, 2016, 18:21 »
Hello,

I'm pretty new to growing veg and tomatoes and was hoping to get a bit of advice please. I've been growing some ailsa Craig and Red alert tomatoes in my greenhouse and they are all at varying degrees or readiness to pick. I was just wondering if there was any kind of time limit on how long I could leave a tomato on the plant for once it has turned red. Its a bit strange because I have some that have turned totally red whilst others on the same bunch are still green.

many thanks

Brad

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: When to pick tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 19:45 »
I might not be the only member wondering whether to move to Ipswich if it means you can have ripe tomatoes ready in May!  :ohmy:

Leaving that aside, tomatoes don't all ripen at once on any given truss, but if they look OK I'm sure they will be OK.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 21:45 »
you've done well getting a crop already, mine aren't even big enough to go in the soil yet, makes me feel even more behind.

the bunch will often ripen at different times. just pick when you need them. if you leave them too long they may split or start rotting, if you have a glut either chill them to stretch them out or makes sauces.

Brad26

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:41 »
Thanks for the advice, My greenhouse was heated so that's how I got a head start. lol

xx
When to pick tomatoes

Started by orient96 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 12:54
by DHM
xx
When to pick tomatoes?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 16:45
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
When to cut losses and pick green tomatoes?

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 20:06
by Sal1610
xx
When do I pick my veg

Started by Charlie79 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 13:08
by kermit

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 36 queries.