she's done it again!!??

• 3 Replies

Jade23

she's done it again!!??
« on: September 29, 2009, 16:16 »
Hi i posted a couple of weeks ago about feather pecking, well we used the feather pecking spray as advised which worked but we had no eggs?  Came home today and found a lovely little egg but the feathers that were all starting to grow have all been pecked out again?  :( We have 4 bantams, they have a 6ft square run with hemcore on the floor, a massive dirt bath (which they love)  cd's hanging up, chimney pots to jump on - so lots to do, oh and they usually get let out in the garden in the afternoons.  I clean the house most days and the run about twice a week.  What am i doing wrong???
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated  ??? one man advised snipping the end of her beak as i think its her thats doing it!!?? :ohmy:
Owner of 1 messy husband, 2 messy boys, 2 dirty dogs, 2  smelly cats and 4 little bantams!

poppies

Re: she's done it again!!??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 16:40 »
Hi it sounds like you are doing everything to keep them  occupied, I have the same problem with a light sussex hen tried the sprays and although it worked the smell was awful so bought some beak bits put one on her last night - only took two of us nearly an hour, maybe you should think about this, I got them from the domestic fowl trust £1 for eight free p&p,

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 20:01 »
I have found beak bits to work the best. After a real struggle fitting it I was advised on here to wrap the hen in a towel to stop her from struggling and warm the bit up first to make it more flexible, made it much easier.
Jo

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 21:42 »
I'd go with beak bits too.  It's not good to try to trim their beaks when they are older.  It should be done when they are young, but we only ever trim the beaks of turkeys, or they kill each other!  (well even with a trimmed beak they still try it!!) :(

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.