fixing problems with briggs and stratton+small engines

• 41 Replies

bluedog

Re: fixing problems with briggs and stratton+small engines
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 00:09 »
 ???
hi got to admit that I am becoming a rotavator junkie I now have four one echman 2x norlett power spades and just sorted a big rotavator with a robins engine on it
oh what fun small engines

love peas and carrots
martin  :tongue2:
In the good old days you could leave your back open and nobody would steal from you thats cus we had nothing

jancapel

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 18:51 »
If any member would like any information on Briggs and Stratton engines I have a Service Manual for Out of Production Engines 1919 – 1981 all is in pdf format
  I would love a copy having issues with throttle cable on our little Merry Tiller

pjs

• Peter Stephens Photography
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11 »
Hello,

I've an odd problem with my Briggs & Stratton engine.  It recently ground to a halt and while fiddling around with it found an odd problem.  The engine will start and run without the spark plug lead on, but when I plug it in nothing happens - it's dead.  I don't know a huge amount about engines but know that this is a little strange. 

Here's a video clip r5iTajoInKs

Any ideas ?

Peter
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:21 by pjsphotography »

grendel

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 12:46 »
have you by any chance put diesel fuel in it?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

pjs

• Peter Stephens Photography
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 13:52 »
Nope....  but I've had it to bits again and quite sure it's a problem with the lead or magneto so will look at replacing that

smud6ie

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 15:56 »
Tie the plug lead away from the top of the plug and if it starts I would be shocked. ;) :)
smud6ie

coleman1

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 13:46 »
The magneto coil sometimes need re adjusting as they work loose and need to bee loosened off and re we putting a business card between the flyweel and the magneto and let the magnetic force pull it tight up to the flyweel and re tighten
Regards
Robin
Recycling andemding is better than ending

Steveharford

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 18:11 »
Hope someone can help with this strange one: firstly I know it should go back to the dealer, as I bought it new this Spring,  but it means half a day off work to get it there and half a day to get it back. This relates to a Maspro mower with B and S engine. It reliably starts first pull from cold with choke as you'd expect. It also restarts while warm after the short time it takes to empty the catcher, with no choke necessary. However if I leave it for a few minutes it just won't start with or without choke. I sometimes get it to fire a little bit but it doesn't pick up and I know then that the only thing to do is leave it for an hour then do the normal choke start whereupon it starts first pull again. This would be frustrating enough if it was happening on my own lawn but it occurs when I do customers lawns which costs me time and also doesn't look very professional. I have asked the dealer about it but he couldn't understand what it might be.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 18:13 by Steveharford »

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 21:08 »
Hope someone can help with this strange one: firstly I know it should go back to the dealer, as I bought it new this Spring,  but it means half a day off work to get it there and half a day to get it back. This relates to a Maspro mower with B and S engine. It reliably starts first pull from cold with choke as you'd expect. It also restarts while warm after the short time it takes to empty the catcher, with no choke necessary. However if I leave it for a few minutes it just won't start with or without choke. I sometimes get it to fire a little bit but it doesn't pick up and I know then that the only thing to do is leave it for an hour then do the normal choke start whereupon it starts first pull again. This would be frustrating enough if it was happening on my own lawn but it occurs when I do customers lawns which costs me time and also doesn't look very professional. I have asked the dealer about it but he couldn't understand what it might be.

Modern top-valve Engine?
You need to Clean the carburetor and the petrol bowl/cup... it is filled with dirt and grass...

Older models have this problem with the petroltank.
...kind of surpriced about your dealers reply... this is typical for the B&S lawnmower Engines...
Albert

Steveharford

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 21:51 »
Well I explained the problem to another dealer who immediately recognized the problem as a defective plug cap. Something to do with the suppressor within it I think. Anyway he sold me a simple rubber covered cap to replace the dodgy metal one and I have had no trouble since. Why the manufacturer continues to use these problematic caps is a mystery to me.

Nobbie

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05 »
Before I start fiddling and making things worse :nowink:, I'd thought I'd ask for some advice. I've just bought a rotavator with a B&S 3hp I/C engine. It's starts ok and runs ok until it is put under heavier load such as digging quite deeply when it stalls. There are two controls on it, one is choke and the other seems to be an adjustable throttle, but doesn't run very well at anything above the default low setting. Any ideas? Does it just need a mixture adjustment? I'll check the plug this afternoon for sootyness.

Edit: I've just found that the small engines website is back up, so will try the advice on there unless anyone knows the problem.

cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:09 by Nobbie »

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14 »
Don't know if this helps: B&S manuals galore here:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/manuals
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

xx
Briggs and Stratton engines ect

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 15:33
by adal
xx
Engine problems on Briggs and Stratton

Started by Andrew Burrow on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 17:34
by Andrew Burrow
xx
briggs and stratton starting problems

Started by tex on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 16:44
by tex
xx
Merry Tiller Briggs & Stratton Engine Problems

Started by DECAL MAN on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 17:30
by shaun

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 52 queries.