Please help-how to stop hens pecking their stubby bit where tail grows

• 4 Replies

heididobie

I know i'm new, and i only got my hens on saturday, 5 lovelies.
But today i got home from work and saw blood on my rhode island red's tail stump.
They only have a small run in the day and i let them into a larger run in the evening.  The bleeding seems to of stopped quickly but know that hens can peck this area until the bird is dead and hollow :O
Is it because i forgot to give them a cabbage or sweetcorn to keep them occupied today?
I would welcome any help thank you x
Eternal Love "Heidi"
Treat others as you wish to be treated.
No room for bullying in the workplace.
Don't be sorry don't do it!

grumpydad

you need some gentian violet to hide the red blood to start with.

there are several anti peck sprays etc, ukadek is very good and the only one than worked for us, but make sure you cover up well , it stinks and will not wash off. stockholm tar is another one, thick and sticky, but it wont come off the feathers till the chuck moults.

heididobie

thank you for your reply,
the blood seems to of gone for now and the pecking by herself and others has also ceased, do you think she'll be ok tonight in the coop with the others?  They don't seem bothered at the minute.
Obviously i'm worried about her safety.  I'm guessing as they have been ok up until today that she'll be ok and i can get something for this tomorrow?

alancane

• Experienced Member
I am no expert, but to me it sounds like pecking through boredom. Especially if it has stopped when you have put them in the larger run. Is the small run too small at all? Can they stay in the larger one all the time? How large are the runs?

I would have thought they will be ok tonight becuase they will be sleeping, but if they are going  into the small run again tomorrow, I would get the genetian violet as soon as.

You might want to consider things that ill distract them i.e. corn on the cob hanging froma  wire, old logs to explore for bugs - those knid of things. But if the run is too small, you definatley won;t have room for much.

As I say, I am definately no expert, so some others might be able to confirm my suggestions or give you soem other tips.
Alan

oborne27

Hi,
I had the same problem a few weeks ago.
The breeder suggested (as it's what she uses) is Deep Heat.
and guess what it works.
Firstly, as they are new its probably stress and boardom related. I feed mine on dry layers mash, this makes them feed more often so they are kept busy. Also look at the run and provide them with something to do. mine have a rasied sun deck and lots of scratching area. also a rope hammock to swing in!
I spray them with violt spary each night if neccessary (this stoips the red areas looking red. if theres blood then use the antiseptic types.
after this spray with deep heat. they will get the message and leave each other alone. or at least mine did.
you can use Ukadex instead of the deep heat but this really does stink, so only use it if your desperate.
hope this helps
Geoff

xx
Tail Pecking

Started by Junie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 18:40
by Junie
question
tail pecking

Started by magiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 23:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Pecking, please tell me it is normal and will soon stop

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 17:13
by maggiemc
xx
Feather pecking - how to stop it?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 22:50
by tedsdad

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 38 queries.