small potatoes

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

small potatoes
« on: November 02, 2022, 16:20 »
after lifting our potato crop, I sorted the potatoes out small green rotten etc then I put the good potatoes in my potato bin, so I end up with a bag of potatoes we used to call these potatoes pig spuds because they went to feed the pigs and, cattle but nowadays no body feeds pigs or cattle with these spuds so what do I do with a bag of pig spuds

I can't put them in the brown garden waste recycled bin as there classed as a vegetable so how do dispose of these, I don't want to tip them on the allotments as it might encourage rodents so what to do with these unwanted spuds?

snowdrops

Re: small potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 16:56 »
I compost those ones.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 05:44 »
We have several pounds of these tiny chaps in a potato sack, shaded in the shed, and I was wondering what they would be like baked - just like a normal medium/enormous spud...

We microwave spuds for seven minutes, then bake for an hour, so clearly the times would be shorter, but has anyone ever tried doing this?

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 08:24 »
Anyone got a recipe for vodka?

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 09:17 »
I have done tiny baked potatoes, then split open & stuff with cream cheese & crispy bacon pieces. I did them for a drinks party, they went down very well but were rather fiddly.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 17:08 »
Anyone got a recipe for vodka?

How's about this one?

https://winning-homebrew.com/how-to-make-potato-vodka.html

I've never tried it, but have used this yeast to get a 15% ABV using just water, which needed a long time to get rid of the yeasty pong! No bad as an addition to other stuff!

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/alcotec-48-hour-pure-turbo-super-yeast?search=turbo%20yeast

I use this yeast for everyday red wine,anyway, and it works incredibly quickly - often about eight days from start to finish! (I don't believe the 48 hour nonsense)!

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 17:08 »
 sounds good idea to compost them snowdrops so how do you compost them because I found when I put some potatoes in the compost bin they started to grow, and the other thing is will they attract rodents?

I can remember my dad lighting an old copper with sticks and coal putting to cook these small potatoes for our cockerel's mashed up they loved um and the potatoes certainly put weight on cockerels for the table at Christmas :D 

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 19:28 »
I just chuck them in, but my compost bins get pretty hot usually as they’re all lined with sheets of phenolic foam,( like they insulate houses with, the thick stuff, probably 4”), but I have had a rat in there too but usually just in winter but then I either keep turning the compost as they don’t like that or I put a bait box in, baited until no more bait disappears

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 18:55 »
We have masses of small(ish) PFA's and they are graet in stews as they don't break up even when cut up. :)  I hope this emoji is acceptable? ? ?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
small potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 01, 2018, 17:29
by sunshineband
xx
Thermos travel cup/small flask

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2024, 14:51
by GraciesGran
xx
Are these potatoes big or what?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2018, 10:53
by Goosegirl
xx
seed potatoes

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2019, 11:16
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 45 queries.