Crawling lice

• 3 Replies

Walewein

Crawling lice
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:11 »
There are a lot of crawling lice on our chickens we treat them regularly along with the house with various powders and lotions but they keep coming back. Someone I work with has suggested that we don't put any straw or bedding into the cop but just put a few shavings in the nesting boxes instead as this may be making the problems worse, seems cruel to me and I would have thought the best answer is to clean out every day in order to end the problem. Advice please!?

Oliveview

Re: Crawling lice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:10 »
Our white hens (Leghorns) were crawling with lice, so I sprayed them with frontline and now they are lice free :D  I canīt say they were happy with being sprayed but at least they are happy not to be full of lice :D
Pamela

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:23 »
Try Johnsons pidgeon spray, easily available. Frontline drops will be very effective, note here that it is not licensed for birds.

http://petshop2u.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=johnsons-anti-mite-extra-14724

Make sure you clean the henhouse at the same time with poultry sheild and redo your birds/henhouse a week later. The lice will be continually laying eggs on the birds and this is a cycle you need to break to effectively rid your birds of lice. :)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26 »
I use the johnsons spray for budgies, works a treat but as Foxy says you really need to re treat 7-10 days after first spray to kill any eggs that will have hatched, if you go for 7 days it will be soon enough to stop the hatchlings reproducing :)

Sarah :)

xx
Ugh - Lice!!!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 16:52
by joyfull
xx
LICE!!!!!

Started by parson on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 13:06
by Vember
xx
Lice that just won't die

Started by arthriticpie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 16:42
by hillfooter
xx
Think we have lice

Started by stamford on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 12:43
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 33 queries.