Mixing new & old hens

• 3 Replies

maninvan

Mixing new & old hens
« on: April 21, 2013, 20:49 »
 Hello folks looking for some advice please, i have got two batches of hens in two separate pens and i have just put the two older girls with the three newer girls which are roughly 18 mths old, the idea is either get 4 or 5 new hens or to remove one of the pens and have some garden back .
 The problem is the two older hens are being bossy and i'm sure it's just the ritual of the pecking order but it is getting worst and is this just normal and will it get worst before it get's better, they are not drawing blood and the three younger hen's didn't lay today plus also i had to put two of them to bed last night.
 If anybody can shed any light on this i would be very grateful, ta Andy.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Mixing new & old hens
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 23:15 »
The older ones are just establishing the pecking order.  They have had use of the pen to themselves and now they have to share. 

Is there enough space for all 5 to live together happily?  If they are enclosed all the time it is best to have a minimum of 2 sq meters of floor space per bird and ideally 3 sq meters.  That would make it 10 to 15 sq meters of run.  The more space they have the happier they will be.  Make sure you have areas where the new hens can hide and 2 or 3 of each drinkers and feeders so the older girls can't stop the younger girls feeding and drinking.

Hopefully they will get braver in a few days and go to roost on their own.  Just keep an eye out for any injuries and have wound powder (or cornflour if you don't have it) and purple spray handy.  If using purple spray around the head area apply with a cotton bud or cotton wool ball so the spray doesn't get in the hens eyes.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

maninvan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 20:58 »
 Thank you for your reply, the size of the run is not an issue as they have a mansion of a pen and i am going to make the sleeping quarters better which will give them more roaming space even still. I am going to give them more time yet to get to establish themselves and will take on board what you have wrote regarding the injuries, thank you once again for your advice, Andy.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 22:29 »
Keep us up to date on how you get on.  Oh and we love pictures on here so if you take any of your hens we would like to see them.   ;)

xx
New hens

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by j00les
clip
New hens

Started by ActionFlack on Chicken Chat

21 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 12:58
by themagicaltoad1
exclamation
You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:01
by graces-chickens
xx
The new hens and getting them to mix

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 10:06
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 32 queries.