Potatoes: This is worth trying

• 19 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Re: Potatoes: This is worth trying
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 16:30 »
Newspaper is certainly cheaper.
Do you mean you have 10 sheets thick? Also what depth do you dig out the trench to put the newspaper in?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 18:30 »
I take the Daily Mail. Open the paper out and count 10 pages . Place in the trench as a letter V and add the compost and soil.  Fill to 3/4 and let it settle. You are exposing the soil to cold night temperatures.

The trench is dug with a digging spade , the width of the spade and the depth of the spade. Level off the bottom of the trench before adding the paper. You should find that the paper will fit in the trench to soil level.

I am adding more sheets for the maincrop because they are in the ground longer.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 17:25 »
I just throw slug pellets into the trench layer of compost the pots then compost then slug pellets then horse manure then slug pellets then so on until trench is full

Ivor Backache

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 20:59 »
I am now starting to lift the potatoes. Normally I would lift the whole row, wash and sort and keep in sacks. Because the trenches have been lined with newspaper, I am lifting the potatoes as required. 
I have lifted half row of Charlotte, third row of Kestrel, third row of Desiree, and a quarter row of King Edward. I have not seen any slug damage. I am very pleased with the results so far.

madcat

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 10:24 »
I got told its a feature of kestrel. They're fine for baking, chips, etc., but not so good for boiling.

However, I like them.

Steam them instead of boiling - takes the same amount of time, and saves the risk of them falling apart.  Oh, and keeps some of the flavour and vitamins.  :nowink: 
We grow mostly Kestrels and Charlottes, they like our soil and don't get scabby or too slug ridden.  And are mostly done before the blight hits the site.  I would like to try the newspaper trick, but newspaper is rare ...  no free paper and no-one around us takes a paper-paper.  :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Jelly potatoes: are they worth it?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2015, 08:39
by m1ckz
xx
Is it worth it?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 13:42
by mumofstig
xx
Is it worth a go?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 14:51
by Trillium
question
Is it really worth it?

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:01
by Tigerhair

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.