Buddleia

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Buddleia
« on: April 10, 2019, 18:45 »
I have two small varieties planted in small pots.  The now need moving up.  What planting medium should I buy for this job.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Re: Buddleia
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 19:18 »
What are the varieties?  I've never seen buddleia in pots.
Peak Hives

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 19:55 »
I cannot remember the varieties.  1 is white with a pretty yellow eye, that is in the ground and only grows to no higher than 4 ft.   1 is Magenta, whilst the other is pink.  I bought them from a grower by post.   Two are in 8 or 9 inch clay pots, and I now want to move one into an ornamental large tub, and plant the other, just wondered what to put in the tub, as I will have to buy in.  Sorry I cannot give you more info.  Mrs Bouquet

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 21:40 »
If it were me I'd go for a 1:1:1 mix of John Innes No3, MPC and the best garden soil you can muster.

I'm no buddleia expert though.

I've got about 100 buddleia globosa in plug form at the moment which I'm scratching my head as to what to do with...apparently they propagate really well from seed so I've ended up with stacks of them...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 20:09 »
If you are planting them into their permanent pots, the expert on my local gardening show would say John Innes No.3 every time as it provides the best nutrient combination and maximises the chance of not drying out.  If it's an intermediate potting up, then probably JI number 2.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:31 »
Ask 1 question, get 6 answers, but for what it is worth, imo John Innes is often way too heavy for use on its own.  I've tried permanently planted pots with just JI and they have not done well.

I use a mix of JI and multi-purpose, but Adri's mix sounds good as well.  JI is a recipe, not a brand, so it varies hugely.  The base soil used for the compost has a big effect on the resulting product.   As a rule I end up using 75 JI/25 mp, but if it is really heavy I adjust that.  You need a mix that will just about hold together if crunched up when damp in the palm of your hand, but will crumble at the slightest prod.  Aiming for a texture is sometimes easier than trying to give an exact ratio  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 10:40 »
The pots are going to be permanent, and to be honest, given that they grow anywhere, I would probably use any old soil with some rubble in it.   :lol:   However, I have got some half used bags knocking around and will also have some from other tubs.   So perhaps I will just use all of that mixed together with something from the Garden Centre to add some goodness.    So thank you all for your help and advice.  Mrs Bouquet

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:11 »

Just a little aside abot buddlia, as a sprog there would be dozens of butterflies round every bush, but no more. mores the pity.

Cheers,  Tony :blush:
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 16:08 »
  You've answered your own question Mrs bouquet. They grow on every railway siding in poor impoverished soil  so I think it would be a waste of ji no 1.

xx
Buddleia

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 13:13
by Dilly Dom
xx
Composting Buddleia

Started by Tenhens on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2016, 09:38
by Tenhens
xx
Buddleia propogating?

Started by loubylou29 on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 08:02
by dig4victory
xx
non-flowering buddleia

Started by Ali -oops on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2021, 07:19
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 49 queries.