sweet peas

• 6 Replies

Bailz

• Experienced Member
sweet peas
« on: May 09, 2011, 22:04 »
is it too late to sow sweet peas and do they have to have a trelas to climb.
Cheers Bailz

fatcat1955

Re: sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 22:29 »
You can start them now and thet will need something to climb on.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 22:59 »
a wigwam of canes are fine BUT they do not climb on their own so need tying every 6 inches or so. Professionals use 8 foot canes and then when sweet peas reach top they untie each sweet pea plant and lay along row so they have another 8 foot of cane to grow up -- called cordon method. But that is very labour intensive and for show purposes and ordinary methods such as cane wigwams or a trellis still produce a nice result.Good luck with all the tying in. Enjoy the flowers.
R

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:07 »
I used netting with my sweet peas, which I'm just seeding outside this week. But the stupid plants don't know what to do and I spend a lot of time weaving them in and out of the netting. This year I'm simply tying them in as DD does with his peas: support sticks opposite on each side, then lengths of string run around and around so the plants are essentially fenced in. Don't use thin canes as the plants get heavy and can pull them down.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 20:21 »
i bought some sweetpeas they looked healthy but seem a bit pale now whats the best thing to give them ?
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 21:23 »
I'd probably give them a quick liquid general purpose feed to perk them up, unless you think it might be a particular nutrient deficiency?

Perhaps seaweed or maxicrop?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 21:52 »
You can plant sweet peas pretty much any time from late January to the end of May. Of course very early sowings should be in the GH. Most areas are suitable for outside planting now, pop them into the ground with some of sort of support structure in place already and water. In about 10 days you'll have little seedlings popping through, protect them mice, birds, slugs and wind until they are bug enough to tie into the support, about 6 inches tall. If you're growing for a nice even coverage then continue to tie in the stems every 6 inches spreading them out nicely. To grow a tall prolific flowering plant, when the plant is 6 inches tall cut off all but the strongest shoot and tie it in. Over the course of the growing year, pinch out all side shoots and tendrils and continue to tie in. Mulching is vital as sweet peas hate drying out.

xx
sweet peas

Started by Lily on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 14:04
by piskieinboots
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by lovemyveg on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 15:28
by tode
xx
Sweet peas

Started by gypsy on General Gardening

28 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 12:54
by Goosegirl
xx
sweet peas

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2021, 11:13
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.