Breed Lines

• 7 Replies

croad langshan

Breed Lines
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:12 »
Ok i was talking to a Orpington breeder and we discussed breed lines, my question is can you breed Father to daughter or mother to son, i know some people do this  and i know he does it a lot and his birds are fine, but he says you cant breed brother to sister. 

So anyone got any answers?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Breed Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16 »
Breeding father to daughter or even granddaughter is normal practice with chicken breeding. This way you choose the traits that you want to keep and breed out the ones you don't.  Having said that it is always a good idea to bring in an unrelated cockerel to inject fresh bloodlines into your flock  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

croad langshan

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:31 »
Yep i thought so, thanks for that. I have done a few Father to daughter and they have been fine so ill carry on and bring new blood in every year from hatching eggs although they can be infected with gracious knows what!

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:37 »
Is this for the croads? Have you joined the croad langsham club? they may be able to help with fresh bloodlines rather than taking the risk of buying eggs from somebody who is just out to make a fast buck and not really interested in the welfare of the breed. This has happened with araucanas - everybody wants their blue eggs so some people are unscrupulous and churn out inferior ones  :mad:
Always buy from reputable people then hopefully you won't go wrong  :)

croad langshan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45 »
No its not for the Croads, i have several breeds here, all of a very high standard and all got from  highly thought of breeders, most national champions but i tend to buy eggs off these people and then dip the eggs in Denaguard to be safe and then put all the chicks on a vaccination programme so they are as bomb proof as they can be.    ::)  One thing i know a lot about is poultry illness and im a tad paranoid! :D I would never buy any eggs of ebay as that is were most of the problem comes from.  People are in it for a quick buck and although i breed and make some money i got into it because i love chickens!!

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:47 »
so sensible especially the dipping of the eggs (had problems like that in the past  >:(). So what other breeds do you have?

croad langshan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54 »
I think everyone has had problems like that, its nearly impossible to not at some point.

I have seven colours of Orpingtons, vorwerk, croads, wellsummer, wheaten maran, blue wheaten, sussex, buff and light, several colours of pekin, guinea fowl,  geese, red araucana, black araucana, silkies. Pigs, cows, sheep,   dogs cats and a partridge in a pear tree!!!! :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17 »
have just pm'd you croad  :)

xx
is it okay to give my gold lines spinach

Started by lellysmum on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 23:14
by peggyprice
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
What breed?

Started by Celtic Eagle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 12:29
by Celtic Eagle
xx
What Breed

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 20:23
by jonesblack

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.