Bald birds?

• 8 Replies

RoyMK

Bald birds?
« on: February 28, 2010, 20:23 »
After starting to moult in October my 2 Black Rocks are still bald all round their rear end and legs. A couple of times you can see feathers starting to appear but then they are gone again.

I dont think they are being pecked by the Amber or the Bluebell and we have tried anti pecking spray.  (The amber has lost feathers as well but not as many as the Rocks)

They are bright and seem healthy and are just as silly as ever, they eat well and we have had 4 eggs most days ever since they all started laying.

The coop is clean and we spray with poultry shield there is no sign of mites so I am at a loss.

We use Aubiose in the coop has any one had any problems with this?

Any suggestion would be welcome?

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
Re: Bald birds?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 21:19 »
Hi RoyMK,
this sounds very strange! I'm afraid I haven't a clue - some more experienced member will be along shortly with sage advice tho.

Lukasmum :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 23:37 »
HI, if you can see the first signs of feathers coming through, then they disapear, im afraid it sounds to me like they are being pecked/pulled out :(. Of course i could be wrong, but one of my little ex-batts took an age to feather up on her wings, the same thing was happening. It was only after 3 months when she came out the coop in the morning with the tiniest spot of blo on her wings that i realised they were being plucked out. I covered her wings in purple spray, and she now has lovely feathers......she just needed a chance to let them grow! ;)

RoyMK

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 13:45 »
Hi

What is Purple spray please?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 13:57 »
Sorry....purple spray is a disinfectant. Also known as gelatine violet. Available in chickeny and horsey places. Its very useful for chickens as they are drawn to the colour red, so if they have an injury or a speck of blood others are drawn to it and when they start pecking it can get very nasty. The purple masks the red colour giving what ever is red time to heal :D
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Gentian_Violet_Spray.html#a4018
Ive given a link to an on-line store, but it is available in lots of places :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 17:00 »
Same problem here with Alice's shoulders.  Someone was having a pull at the new feather spikes.  Purple spray disguised the area till they had a chance to grow.

RoyMK

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:56 »
Thanks for the advice I now have 2 Purple Rocks Purple hands and a Purple tee shirt.

Does it come in any other colours as paint your chickens may be a winner, Dragons Den here I come?

Lets hope the silly beggars stop it now.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16 »
 :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:19 »
Thanks for the advice I now have 2 Purple Rocks Purple hands and a Purple tee shirt.

Does it come in any other colours as paint your chickens may be a winner, Dragons Den here I come?

Lets hope the silly beggars stop it now.

It will fade to a very fetching lilac!

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
question
Bald bum!

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 20:59
by Dave W
xx
bald!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 11:01
by cathangirl
xx
bald hen!

Started by NUMBER27 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:35
by diamond_lil

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.