potatoes under straw

• 11 Replies

greenockian

potatoes under straw
« on: May 13, 2010, 16:14 »
I have a patch of ground which someone  (probably myself) had dumped some gravel on it a long time ago and when I started to cultivate it I couldnt get all the stones out so I decided that over the years I could just keep digging in compost and manure and this would balance out the small stones.
In the meantime I read an article about growing potatoes on top of the ground covered with about 2 feet of straw. I tried this and when the potatoes which I put in the ground started to come through, I inspected the ones under the straw. They had hardly grown at all. I removed the straw and shovelled some compost on top of each potato and replaced the straw hoping that this will encourage them to grow now.
I will not be growing them that way again although on reflection it has possibly been the weather that has been at fault. We have had very little rain this spring and the straw has not had a chance to rot.
Does anyone else grow potatoes this way?.
You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.

woodburner

Re: potatoes under straw
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 17:23 »
I grow spuds in a good couple of inches of well rotted manure on top of cardboard. After the first mounding up, I use straw to cover the growing stems, and when they are ready for the final 'earthing up' I use grass cuttings, cardboard, compost, soil from elsewhere, whatever is available to exclude light. It's dead easy and produces nice spuds which are easy to dig up while improving the soil and suppressing the weeds all in one.  8)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

greenockian

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 20:05 »
I think I was a bit optimistic thinking that the pots would grow only in straw. I just hope I have put enough compost on them. If it is dry tomorrow I may go to the local stables and get some more rotted manure to cover them if I can get the straw off again without doing any damage.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 20:13 »
Ruth Stout, who first came up with the idea of no dig gardening, used to simply throw her seed potatoes onto the rotting mass of the previous year's straw, top with lots more straw and leave them to it. But she got quite a bit of rain in her area and the straw kept breaking down and over the years she had very crumbly soil below her seed potatoes. If you get little rain, you'll have to compensate with some watering. You'll get lovely clean potatoes in the end.

greenockian

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:57 »
Greenock has the reputation of it being always raining, however, this winter and spring we have had hardly any rain at all in spite of the experts saying that the winters will be milder and wetter due to climate change.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24 »
Quick question, you mention what the weather has been like this year, also that you potatoes have not grown much.

When did you plant them?  If it was some time this year then it is no surprise that they haven't grown yet, they haven't had the time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 11:11 »
Not tried it myself, but I did read an article in Gardener's World magazine within the last year in which they tested several methods of growing spuds.

If I remember correctly "conventional" soil-growing and potato-bags did the best, and straw-growing the worst, although the article did suggest that the straw crop would have been better with more watering (for the purposes of the experiment they had to treat them all the same.)

Edit: senior spelling moment!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:29 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 15:48 »
The whole point of the different methods is to use what best suits your area and climate (which includes rain) rather than be the latest fad. If the straw is up before a good rainfall, then you're okay but if you add the straw when you have a long dry spell, you've lost cropwise.
Potatoes don't need a lot of rain/water but they do need a reasonable amount. Hollowheart in potatoes happens when it's too dry regardless of soil fertility and the potato centre literally is a hollow. Wet straw has a better chance of ensuring success.

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 21:46 »
If growing in rotted straw only, would they get enough nitrogen?

I have vague recollections of a no dig method involving straw bales. They were repeatedly wetted with (I'm pretty sure) a compost activator mix, when the decomposition got going they got pretty warm, like a good compost heap should. I can't remember what they grew in them but I guess it was stuff that benefitted from the heat.

Edit, I think it may have been tomatoes, and they used tomato feed. I Think it might have been tomato feed they used to speed up the rotting too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 21:49 by woodburner »

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 01:06 »
You don't really need nitrogen for spuds as it would give you mostly lush top growth, which isn't what you want.

Here's one article on Ruth Stout: here.

woodburner

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57 »
Link is broken, but thanks for the answer. :)

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 16:33 »
I have just got some straw as I had run out of soil to earth up ( my mini allotment is in my garden). A bit dubious now after reading some posts about the results from earthing up with it. Should I water the potatoes before putting the straw on ( I haven't been watering them at all even in the dry weather, not sure if I should be or not )  and should I cover completley or have some shoots poking through the top. The potatoes are showing about 12inc of leaf.

xx
Potatoes under straw

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 00:48
by Kirpi
xx
Potatoes and straw

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 17:29
by gavinjconway
xx
earthing up potatoes, straw?

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 10:25
by brokenglass
xx
Potatoes under grass and straw

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 08:17
by DD.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 29 queries.