Sweet peas

• 7 Replies

sclarke624

Sweet peas
« on: June 12, 2009, 14:30 »
I have just picked a lvely bunch of sweet peas.  Just wish I had a nicer posie jar.

Am I right in thinking the more you pick them the more flowers you get, or something you know what I mean.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

bradleyt

• Discount mortgages
Re: Sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 14:56 »
haha I know what you are saying.. yes.. you are correct. The more you pick the more they will flower. You generate growth. Don't pick too many though - maybe 25% of what has flowered already.
For premium mortgages at discount prices we recommend http://mortgagerefinancingz.com/cheap/quotes

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 15:15 »
Well I picked some and then went in the garden to do some other jobs, came back in wow what a heady fragarence.  Think I am gonna be sneexing all night.  Nice though, reminds me of a lot of perfumes for instance dolce and gabbana light blue.

There was me telling the OH only one of the colours smelt strong, think I may have been wrong there.

Not bad for a free packet.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 15:03 »
I grow them for cutting.  I cut all flowers (for the house), and new flowers form promptly - such that I "harvest" twice a week. This is probably not good avice for plants growing the garden and doubling up for show, and for cutting :)

Letting any flowers run to seed is likely to cause that plant to stop forming flowers (it thinks it has reproduced), at least for a while.

Towards the end of the season you may want to let some run to seed so that you have your own seed next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 16:37 »
I have just picked a lvely bunch of sweet peas.  Just wish I had a nicer posie jar.

Am I right in thinking the more you pick them the more flowers you get, or something you know what I mean.
ooooh lucky you ..my first sowings were useless and 2nd lot are only about 12 in high :( I usually have them growing with the roses over the arch/gate into the garden so looks a little sad this year :(
So enjoy them....i'm so so jealous  ::) and yes keep picking and deadhead regularly

Stree

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 17:27 »
mine are just over 5 foot now and from about 6 or 8 blooms a day to cut  10 days ago, up to about 15 to 20 a day now. running out of things to put them in.....

Riala

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 17:34 »
Erm... am I supposed to be cutting my flowers off?

My sweet pea are around 5ft tall, and have 3(ish) flowers each... 4 stems.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 18:43 »
"am I supposed to be cutting my flowers off?"

Don't let them form seeds.  If for garden-show, rather than cutting for vase in the house, then dead-head - snap off the flowers once they have past their best

xx
Sweet peas

Started by DIGGER on General Gardening

68 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 17:53
by Smarty
xx
sweet peas

Started by bright lights on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 08:49
by chicken soup
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by thestens on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 21:49
by MoreWhisky
xx
sweet peas

Started by CaroM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:19
by CaroM

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.