Honeysuckle not flowering

• 6 Replies

dolby

Honeysuckle not flowering
« on: July 08, 2013, 19:50 »
I have a couple of Honeysuckles in the garden which have never flowered very well.
One of them is a ‘Periclymenum Serotina' and is in pretty much full sun growing over a pergola, the other is a Lonicera Periclymenum ‘Scentsation’ which is in partial shade growing up a fence.
The Serotina in particular is a very poor flowerer. It seems to have plenty of buds but these drop off before the flowers open.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to flower better before I give up completely and just rip them out?!
Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Honeysuckle not flowering
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 18:21 »
Have you been feeding them and, if so, with what?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stree

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08 »
Are the roots cool and shaded?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 13:41 »
I have three climbing honeysuckles, all in different situations in the garden. The longest established one, with it's roots confined into a container - has always flowered well; the aroma and display are fantastic right now and the bees love it. The other two, one in an exposed border the other in a bottomless container have been there probably three years now and are both just coming into flower for the first time. Luckily, I have plenty room to accommodate them just as plants.

In addition to suitable feeding, root position and mulching, you need to make sure you're pruning correctly as climbers and shrub varieties have different requirements and you can stop a season's flowering with incorrect pruning. Having said all that, they're not attention hungry.

RHS advice is sound.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

dolby

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 13:43 »
The roots on one of them are shaded, on the other they're in partial shade. The one in shade do better. I don't generally feed them.

dolby

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 13:45 »
I always thought they didn't need much attention. Maybe I'll try feeding them this year and see if that im[proves things.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 16:46 »
Did you notice any infestation of the flower buds with aphids?

I used to have a Belgica type which rarely produced any flowers because the buds got infested with aphids which sucked all the life out of them (I didn't want to spray so close to flowering.)

Replaced it with a Halliana type which has never suffered from the problem (and is filling the garden with scent as I write this.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Dopey113 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 20:52
by catllar
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Bodger on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 09:29
by fletch
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by RigsVilleBird on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Riverbecameroad on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 22:58
by Riverbecameroad

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 29 queries.