Can we add cold frames to this discussion?

• 2 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Can we add cold frames to this discussion?
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:21 »
Hi, my polytunnel is in its second season and so far all is looking good. Last year I grew tomatoes, cuccumber, pepper, chilli, squash, tomatillo and stuff I have forgotten, over the winter I had lettuce, rocket, mizuna and cauliflower and all did well.

BUT!

I have two lovely cold frames each 6ft by 3ft made from two patio doors and I haven't a clue what to grow in them. I use them a bit at this time of year to harden plants off, but now the tunnel is up even that is a bit redundant. so....... What crops can I uselfullt grow in two large cold frames please?

Thanks

Ian
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Can we add cold frames to this discussion?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:00 »
Even though I now have a greenhouse I still grow bush tomatoes in my cold frame - the covers have to come off when the plants reach them but I think they still appreciate the microclimate and also get partial protection from any blight spores wafting about.

Provided you like home-made tomato sauces you can never have too many tomatoes!   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Can we add cold frames to this discussion?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 13:29 »
you can never have too many tomatoes!   :)

Wish you'd tell our friend Harry that Jay!  He keeps offering me tomato plants, but when I told him I've got 100 ready to go into the garden and polytunnel, he said what do you do sell them?

Can't get him to understand that those tomatoes keep us going through the winter in tomato soups and sauces!

As to cold frame, now that most of my stuff is ready to come out of there, I thought this year I'd try my cucumber plants in there.  I've only got 3 left, lost the others through damping off!  (stupid me!)

xx
cold frames

Started by snow white on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 22:07
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Tomato seed discussion

Started by ambodach on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2021, 10:32
by ambodach
xx
Cold frame or not?

Started by stompy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
Cold Greenhouse

Started by bobbyt on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2021, 18:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.