Anyone sowing seeds yet?

• 24 Replies

missmoneypenny

Anyone sowing seeds yet?
« on: February 04, 2024, 15:24 »
I have an unheated room with external wall and window, so a bit like an unheated greenhouse. Is it too early to sow a few things- I’m thinking parsley, sunflowers, tomatoes. Thanks for any advice, I’m in London .

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone sowing seeds yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 16:28 »
I sowed some leeks yesterday and have put on a windowsill nothing else though.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 17:12 »
I have an unheated room similar to the one you describe and have sown sweet peas recently and also started shallot sets in cell trays . Both of these will be fine with the room temperature.
I think l would wait until the beginning of March for the seeds you mention , it’s a bit chilly for them at the moment.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 18:28 »
I find it tends to be the light that's an issue this early in the year. Using foil as a reflector behind the plants can help but you may well find the plants getting leggy nevertheless.

I can only speak for tomatoes but they'll need a bit of heat to germinate then lots of light to stop them getting leggy (I use grow lights). You'll need space to keep them protected until risk of frosts have passed. I grow a few early but do most of my sowing end March/early April.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 18:38 »
A bit early at present.
As to tomatoes I will think about them in a few weeks from now using a heated propagator on a windowsill. You need to work back from when you can plant them out mine are for outside so I don’t want them too leggy before I can put them out in a frost free location. Leeks are pretty hardy and I have sown them in an unheated conservatory this early. It’s the time of year when we are itching to sow things.
Keep digging

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 19:13 »
Thanks for the common sense talk guys. I’ve seen the forecast it’s going to get quite a bit colder late next week. I don’t do leeks as sadly won’t have room/ they get onion fly. I know I need to wait til the end of the month for tomatoes. It really is the time of year we start to get the urge to sow stuff.

Odders

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 00:57 »
I have an unheated room with external wall and window, so a bit like an unheated greenhouse. Is it too early to sow a few things- I’m thinking parsley, sunflowers, tomatoes. Thanks for any advice, I’m in London .

I'd wait to the end of the month, as you have to consider light levels & a frost free place to grow them on.

I'll be sowing onion seeds next week.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 03:26 »
I will likely wait until at least end of February for tomatoes, peppers started indoors.  I might start peas and other cool weather crops mid month, depending on how busy I am.  I'm not counting spinach and lettuce sown in modules last autumn, now mostly in the ground.

I'm currently busy trying to make my back garden less attractive to deer as a nursery for fawns!  Deer are my worst garden pest.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 03:30 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 09:59 »
Sown some onions, shallot and spring onion seeds indoors , will be moving them to the propagator in the greenhouse. Next up will be some flowers and lettuce.

Christine

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 14:03 »
I've an indoor light cool window ledge that takes the early items like sweet peas, peppers, aubergines that need a long season to get going. But nothing else.

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 22:45 »
I’ll be sowing some chillis, aubergine, lettuce, cabbage and Tenderstem broccoli in the next week, but it’ll be under an 20W LED grow light in a wardrobe out of the way. By the time they outgrow the 40L storage tub, I should be able to move the lettuce, cabbage and broccoli to the unheated greenhouse via a sunny windowsill.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 07:54 »
Yep, I've already started, my 1st lot of onions pricked out into individual pots, sowings done this week inc tomatoes, cabbages, Jalapenos more onions and some 1st earlies in pots, probably start some carrots off this week too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 13:15 by AndyRVTR »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 10:42 »
I'm sowing chillies in a heated tray this week. Might do some leeks soon, just a 4" pot full. Apart from those I'll be trying to restrain myself otherwise I'll have far too many jostling for growing-on space next month! :lol:

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 19:10 »
I've been warming some compost in modules ready to sow chillies. I was wondering if it was too early

AndyRVTR

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 19:19 »
I've been warming some compost in modules ready to sow chillies. I was wondering if it was too early
Definitely not too early.. as long as you have heat & light!

xx
sowing seeds

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 07:45
by lucywil
xx
Sowing Seeds

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 08:09
by stompy
xx
Sowing seeds now

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2018, 22:13
by sunshineband
xx
Sowing seeds

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 22:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 51 queries.