Verdict on Melcourt SylvaGrow peat free growing medium

• 8 Replies

Grubbypaws

Verdict on Melcourt SylvaGrow peat free growing medium
« on: February 03, 2024, 12:32 »
I am trying to decide what seed compost I should buy this year. Looking through previous posts people were suggesting Melcourt SylvaGrow peat free growing medium and it does get some good right ups. What were folks experiences with it? Is it worth the cost? Does any one have a recommendation for it or for another seed compost? TU

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: Verdict on Melcourt SylvaGrow peat free growing medium
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 18:38 »
Dalefoot is very good too. Made from sheep fleece and braken I think

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 20:12 »
I have had a good experience with Sylvagrow.  I did buy Dalefoot tomato compost a few years back and had some problems with it - my tomatoes developed a problem a bit like blossom end rot, but it was someting different.  Never really found out what it was.  It rectified itself with some additional feed - the Dalefoot tomato compost is supposed not to need additional feed at all.  I haven't used it since.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 15:08 »
Can certainly recommend Sylvagrow as a good compost supplier , consistently excellent  results with the multi purpose , used for potting on . However haven’t tried the Sylvagrow seed compost as l always get excellent results with Westlands Grosure seed and cutting compost. It is peat based and l fancy any peat free compost could be a bit too loose for tiny seeds .

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 16:21 »
Can certainly recommend Sylvagrow as a good compost supplier , consistently excellent  results with the multi purpose , used for potting on . However haven’t tried the Sylvagrow seed compost as l always get excellent results with Westlands Grosure seed and cutting compost. It is peat based and l fancy any peat free compost could be a bit too loose for tiny seeds .
I used the Sylvagrow multipurpose for seed sowing with no problem.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 16:28 »
@AnneB , thanks, that’s good to know ! .

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 18:42 »
We stock the Sylvagrow multi purpose peat free compost in the allotment shop. People are consistently pleased with it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 15:11 »
we had a garden club meeting and the melcourt Technical Director Catherine Dawson gave us a talk on there compost brands including melcourt sylvagrow peat free we had some free samples of compost including there's and other brands so we chose sylvagrow to try as it was one of the peat free composts we hadn't tried we have been doing our own peat free trials and to be honest some where absolutely rubbish

but I have to say my wife sowed some tomato seed in both sylvagrow peat free and clover peat composts and there is actually no difference between the two sowings both are growing at the same rate but sylvagrow is a tad more expensive than  what we are paying for our clover compost and its less LTRS per bag than clover peat compost so its really down to quality cost  its really going to be a suck it and see what composts are available at competitive price for both quality and price  come spring

WulfrunFrank

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 17:00 »
I've used SylvaGrow for some years now and have found it very good. I might sieve it for fine seed sowing, but otherwise use it for all sorts of things. A far better texture than other peat frees that I have tried and the price differential to others is generally not as big now. Just one point to note, check the packing date on the bags - I was recommended by Melcourt to make sure it is no more than 6 months old after one bag I bought had a strange smell and partly discoloured. They sent a voucher for a replacement bag, so great customer service.

xx
Sylvagrow peat-free compost.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2022, 10:04
by Yorkie
xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
xx
growing medium

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 20:34
by Welsh Merf
xx
Growing Medium

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:33
by eeedowls

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 44 queries.